Will This Make My Buttercream Frosting Less Sweet?

Baking By travelingcakeplate Updated 30 Dec 2006 , 2:09am by kakedecorator

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 13

I know that this topic has been revisited over and over, but I have not heard anyone suggest or ask about this.....?

Can I use 4x or 6x powdered sugar instead of 10x

If the 10x is the finest, that means you get more "sweetness" per cup. Keeping that in mind, shouldn't I be able to use the 4x or 6x and get less "sweetness" per cup.

I know that I will probably have to measure then sift, to get the consistency right, but it would be worth the time to make my bride happy about "less sweet" frosting. icon_biggrin.gif

This is just my logic, but won't this cut down on the "sweetness" factor.

Please offer suggestions and experiences!

tcp

12 replies
musicmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 13

I honestly don't know the answer to this, I know you can add salt to cut down on sweetness, that is normally what I do, I always use a generic brand of powdered sugar and I have no idea what X's it is, but it works ans taste good and I NEVER get anyone saying it is too sweet, but I taste test and add salt to cut down on that

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 13

Interesting question...I guess maybe since the 10x is finer it would offer more surface area and be "sweeter" on a chemical level but I really don't think it will change the taste much. It will still be really sweet to the taste if you use 4x or 6x.

If your bride doesn't like sweet frosting, you may want to try another kind like cream cheese buttercream, or italian/french/swiss meringue frosting. I think that with pretty much all powdered sugar frostings, you get that typically really sweet taste. Good luck!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:31am
post #4 of 13

I use lemon juice in place of the liquid in my BC and it cuts down on the sweetness. Just don't try to color BC with lemon juice because the lemon will bleach the colour out. The lemon also works for BC made with all butter, it bleaches it.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 12:41am
post #5 of 13

All the 10x means is that it is sifted 10 times....that would not affect the sweetness.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:01am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

All the 10x means is that it is sifted 10 times....that would not affect the sweetness.

10x doesn't have anything to do with how many times it's been sifted. 10x, 6x, 4x has to do with the particle size. The higher the number the smaller the particle. 10x is finer than 6x.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 13

snowboarder, that's exactly what I am saying! The 10X means it has been sifted 10X's and therefore the sugar is finer. I just didn't add that it made it finer because I figured that was a given! thumbs_up.gif

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

10x doesn't have anything to do with how many times it's been sifted. 10x, 6x, 4x has to do with the particle size. The higher the number the smaller the particle. 10x is finer than 6x.

Ok.... If the 10x is a smaller particle, doesn't that mean you get more sugar per cup than the 4x or 6x because their particles are larger? If you get fewer particles per cup with a 4x or 6x, why would it not affect the overall level of "sweetness"?

Is it not a lot like the principle of cake flour (or sifted flour) versus regular flour. The finer the particle the more you put into the cup, the more it affects your recipe, flavor, texture etc?

I think I will just have experiment and post my results.

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 13

I have used a bit of salt in mine and I have also used the Buttercream Dream recipe from this site which uses unsalted and salted butter to cut down on the sweetness. It's really good.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 13

Hi,
If I'm doing a cake for someone that really doesn't like real sweet buttercream, I add a 3 oz size/block of cream cheese to icing and decrease the amount of water.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 13

I have heard of some people using cornstarch in place of some of the sugar! I have never tried it myself though.......it would seem to reason that this may work since a portion of confectioner's sugar that WE buy ( at least the stuff I buy) lists cornstarch as an ingredient in it anyhow.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 2:09am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcakeplate

If the 10x is the finest, that means you get more "sweetness" per cup. Keeping that in mind, shouldn't I be able to use the 4x or 6x and get less "sweetness" per cup.
tcp

Actually 10X is not the finest, you can get it finer. From everything I have learned the more it is sifted (10X means it has been finely lifted 10 times) the more cornstarch they have to add to it to keep it from lumping. So it would make sense to me that the finer it its sifted the less sweetness it would have because of all the cornstarch. I dnn't know if this is correct I'm just guessing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%