Excellent Class...

Decorating By StephW Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 2:23am by kaseynh

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 11

I just got back from a 4 day chocolate making class at LA Burdick's in Walpole NH. It was a great experience that I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to learn the basics of working with fine chocolate. Michael Klug, the head chocolatier, and his staff are amazing!

We made various types of chocolates over the four day class, and then they packed up our candy for us to take home - 8 or 9 pounds of it!

The class last week was the last one for this year, but I believe that he is planning on offering the classes again next year. If you should decide to go - it is money very well spent!

Here is a link to their site....

http://www.burdickchocolate.com/chocolate_cooking_school.asp

10 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 11

Wow Steph -- I am soooo jealous!! icon_lol.gif Every year for my birthday I place an order from Manhattan Fruitier and I always get some chocolates (which come from Burdick's.) Their chocolate is incredible!! I would LOVE to take their class. You are sooo lucky!! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks so much for posting this, it's an alternative to Notter's class in Orlando. The rates are within $40 of each other. I've been having a hard time talking myself into letting go of that much money for 3-4 days but now I know it's comparable. Now it's down to airfare vs driving -
Jane

StephW Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 11

bobwonderbuns - start saving up and go!! This class was incredible! Their chocolate is wonderful and we got to taste plenty of it! And Michael teaches the class himself - he is completely hands on and very concerned that we understand what is going on and that we get great results.

sweetjane - I don't know anything about Notter's so I can't really compare the two for you. However, Burdicks is one of the top chocolate makers in the world. It is up in rural NH so it's a very quiet, peaceful area. They included breakfast and dinner in the cost of the workshop from their restaurant/cafe. Dinner was 3 courses... even the lunch on the last day was 3 course. You are on your own for lunch on the other days, but there are very reasonable places to get lunch from.

The workshop is very intensive - you are constantly working on something. No breaks except at lunch time, so the days are full and you are on your feet the whole time. It's a casual, fun atmosphere - but you truly know that you've gotten your monies worth.

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 11

... Cracking open piggy bank now... icon_razz.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for Sharing, I am going to look into this --maybe next year.... that would make a nice 40th birthday present for myself!
I've made chocolates since I was 12, it's about time I take a proper class!

Thanks again.

Good Luck Making Chocolats.

StephW Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 11

It's a great birthday present!

There were people from all over - there was one guy in our class who is currently living in Paris! We had a great time!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 11

Do you happen to know if he's running that workshop again next year?

StephW Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 11

I'm pretty sure he is planning to. We are hoping he does an advanced class - but don't know if that is in the cards yet. But the four workshops they offered this summer went over very well and he said they are planning them for next year.

StephW Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:11am
post #10 of 11

I finally got around to posting some pics of the candy we made in the class. There are three in my gallery. One is of the chocolate mice we made. One is of the Calvados pepper truffles and the last is of the bonbons.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:23am
post #11 of 11

I live about 20 minutes from Burdick's. I wasn't aware he offered classes there! icon_surprised.gif I am going to have to check it out! Thanks for the info icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%