If We Have Cake Central, Are The Decorating Books Worth It?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm by alanahodgson

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 11:15am
post #1 of 7

I was at the book store last night and there were TWO colette Peters books. I saw lots of techniques I didn't know, but felt were within my grasp... until then, I thought "who would ever buy a book when you can get ideas and help from cake central", but now I'm thinking that some "how to books" might not be such a bad idea...

Anyone care to comment? And, if you think how to books are useful, what books are good for instructional purposes? For a novice level - not super advanced... You can see in my photos where I am "technically" in cake decorating.

Melissa

6 replies
nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 11:49am
post #2 of 7

I love Cake Central it has been a huge help and inspiration to my skills, but I use the site in addition to my books as well. It's up to you in the end but I get just as much inspiration from my books and if my computer is down for any reason and I can't get onto cake central then my books are right there. As to which books, I'm sure there will be other people who have specific recommendations, however, I think it can be a personal thing, have a look at the book, read some of the instructions, look at the pictures, do you like how the instructions read? do you find the pictures helpful etc..... and then sometimes it's just worth getting them for their fantastic pictures and inspirations I'm also a huge fan of wedding mags, I took a bunch to my last tasting and the second magazine heralded a design the couple just fell in love with.

So in closing! icon_biggrin.gif I found both indespensible!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 7

My advice is to build your library. My books are precious to me. They are filled with pictures, recipes, tips, techniques...and they never go down for maintenance. CC is a fantastic wealth of information and pictures - and real-time human input - but there have been times when I've needed a recipe or to glance at a pic saved in my favorites but the site was down. Both books and CC and other related websites are great, but don't choose one over the other. Build your library.

And save important things to your hard drive. LOL

Sherri

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 7

I gain inspiration and knowledge from both books and the internet. Sometimes it helps to have a book open in front of you while working on a project, and sometimes just surfing the internet (particularly the CC galleries) give me inspiration. I agree with Cakepro, I don't think it's a matter of one over the other. There's inspiration everywhere! icon_biggrin.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 7

I really enjoy my books because I can take them anywhere anytime and they don't require electricity or the internet. Also, if I am using ideas from different books I can have them open while I am decorating.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 7

You can never have to many resources. Your books can go placed your computer can't!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 7

I bought a few books not too long ago. Some cover the basics through more advanced techniques in a sort of all in one instructional book format (Toba Garrett's The Well Decorated Cake, Nicholas Lodge's International School of Sugarcraft). I like these well enough, but I can get much of that information from CC. The book I like the best is Debbie Brown's Enchanted Cakes for Children because she gives specific step by step instructions on how to build the cakes in her books. I like it because I though I could learn about carving/constructing 3D cakes and modeling figures by taking her techniques and applying them to things I want to create from my own imagination. All of the books are great resources.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%