My Friend Needs Some Advice Asap!(Idiot Neighbors)

Lounge By FerretDeprived Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 2:07am by athompson0525

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:25am
post #1 of 15

Ok, so my friend and her family are in a bit of a pickle. I'll cross post what she has posted. Basically it is her neighbors being inconsiderate idiots.

Quote:
Quote:

Only this time, as far as I'm concerned, they crossed the line. They're burning, in a big way, and we're in drought. Carpet, garbage, rubber, a big old chest of drawers, and flames shooting ten feet high. I have no idea how it managed not to spread to the back field.

Regardless, we now can't go to church tonight because the danger of them catching our place on fire is too great. Yeah, you heard me. We might have to take shifts going tomorrow morning.

Why not report it? Well, because I'm partially afraid, and after seeing things tonight, I'm sure my folks are totally afraid, that these creeps would probably come over and start causing property damage if they suspected we called them in. We're scared for our safety here.

Ok, so she's wondering what she should do? Should she report them? Can the police help?? Anyone know what she can or should do for her family.

Thank you so much! She's a good friend and i don't like hearing she's in a situation such as this. thumbsdown.gif

14 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:51am
post #2 of 15

ummm yeah! If they are in danger that should be their first priority! Call the Police!

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:49am
post #3 of 15

Make an anonymous call to the police. Are there any other neighbors close by? If so then how would they know it wasn't them calling? If my property or family were in danger I would definately call the police. Did your friend go over to talk to them about it? They might just not understand the extent of what they are doing. HTH. Let us know how things turn out.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:21am
post #4 of 15

If there is a drought and flames are that high, then EVERYBODY can see them and ANYBODY could have made that call. Heck a patrol car driving by may have seen it!

FerretDeprived Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 6:34am
post #5 of 15

That is what we suggested in the thread. But these are the type of neighbors that are rude, inconsiderate, and won't hesitate to do anything to them or their property even if they didn't make the call. More than likely they'll assume they made the call regardless and still do something(this is her pickle, even if she says she's anonymous, they'll know it was her family.. or assume so ,and that's where their safety is at risk).

These neighbors aren't people to talk to. My friend is a sensible and very patient person. If she could she'd talk it over to them to see what's up. They've had problems with these neighbors before and have tried in the past to talk to them.

These are very sleazy neighbors from what they've done in the past. This isn't their first stupid action.

Thank you for the help!!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 15

I don't think they really have any choice but to report them...if they really feel that they are in danger, what will stop the neighbors from destroying their property regardless? It's not much consolation, but if they report the behavior and express their fear to the police, if the neighbors do something stupid then there won't be much doubt as to who to blame. If they are really in fear of these people hurting the family, or family pets, it's that much urgent that they report it and make it clear to the police how concerned they are for their safety.
Are there any other neighbors around?

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 15

I don't know about Georgia, but here it is illegal to to burn trash. They should have reported it to the fire dept. especially since there is a drought situtation.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

I don't know about Georgia, but here it is illegal to to burn trash. They should have reported it to the fire dept. especially since there is a drought situtation.

that was my first thought too....

I say if she sees fire...call the fire dept. Let them come put out the fire then fine them and report it to the police!!

indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsline7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

that was my first thought too....

I say if she sees fire...call the fire dept. Let them come put out the fire then fine them and report it to the police!!

Oh that's good!!! I like this one! icon_twisted.gif

FerretDeprived Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:11am
post #10 of 15

My friend doesn't live in Georgia. She lives in central Ohio. icon_smile.gif

I('m getting info as we go. So after suggesting going to the police apparently these are also the kind of neighbors who have connections into the police ,and the police around those parts are a useless bunch. icon_sad.gif

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am not trying to dismiss them at all. I've suggested everything that has been mentioned ,but it;s all a "what if" to her and her family. They are worried about their safety and the risk of calling the police fire department and then them assuming it was then..whether it was or wasn't, is to great. It seems like the police around there aren't a helpful bunch either so i would not put my trust in them. I've run into incompetent and idiotic cops before and they do nothing but hurt the situation... so i can sympathize with her worries.

Again, thank you for the help. Me and my friend appreciate it.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:51am
post #11 of 15

Before you said that they were in Ohio, I was going to tell you that it was probably my family, and I'd call them for you.

I'm originally from GA, and yes, they do burn trash.

Good luck w/ your friend. Maybe you'll get rain and won't have to worry.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:01pm
post #12 of 15

I am curious to know what part of central Ohio your friend is from because I am 30 miles south of columbus. Your friend needs to contact the fire dept. just call the office and report that people are having junk burned in a bonfire type situtation. Believe me...the fire dept. will investigate and can have more authority than the police or sheriff in this situtation. If you are talking about small town police and these neighbors being in cohoots, then these people have the option of contacting their County Sheriffs office or the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 15

We read an article once that said the Ohio State Highway Patrol were rated the "most feared" police dept in the country. We tease about "the penalty for speeding in Ohio is the death penalty!" It's the ONE state in the country where I consider the speed limit "the law" and not just a "suggestion". icon_redface.gif

Yeah ..... I agree totally. Have your friends call THESE guys!

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:54am
post #14 of 15

I agree with indydebi about the speed limit. When in Ohio we OBEY the speed limit. But as for your friend, maybe they should just consider moving if that's possible. If not contact the Ohio State Highway Patrol. Good luck to them. Sounds scary.

athompson0525 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athompson0525 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:07am
post #15 of 15

As someone that grew up in the firehouse and in Ohio I know that it is illegal to burn without a permit (unless you have hot dogs on sticks). Call the fire department. If they respond typically they will report the fire and the individuals will get fined.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%