? For Those Who Have Done A Ganache "drizzle" On A

Decorating By LucyintheSky Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 2:07am by LucyintheSky

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:21am
post #1 of 5

I would like to do a "drizzle" of chocolate ganache that drips down the side of the cake over a buttercream icing... I have seen lots of cakes like this and have a couple questions for all you experts!
1) How much should I let the ganache cool before I try to do this? I figure if it's too hot it will melt the icing underneath, but if I let it cool too much, it won't drizzle... what is your advice on this?
2) How do I get a nice even drizzle? Some cakes I've seen have a drizzle that is kind of "gloppy" (for lack of a better term!) and some are even and beautiful.... so what do you use to apply the ganache so it's even and pretty? I was going to just spoon it on, but I was also thinking that maybe something like a turkey baster would work better? That way I could kind of squirt it all the way around? So how do you suggest applying it evenly?
Thanks, thanks, thanks for all your help!!

4 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:41am
post #2 of 5

I put my ganache in a disposable plastic bag and snip the end off. I can't tell you what temperature is perfect because I've never taken its temp when it's at its perfect drizzle consistency, but if it glops, it's too cool. Practice a little by drizzling it on the inside rim of whatever bowl it's in.

Just pipe and go. You'll find it's really quite easy.

~ Sherri

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:53am
post #3 of 5

I use a soup ladel and pour in the middle of the top and gently "push" it to the sides where it then drips down on it's own accord

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:07am
post #4 of 5

My ganache goes from the stove top to being poured over the cake in anywhere from 3-5 minutes. I've let my BC crust and it doesn't melt. The biggest problem I have is not bumping my hand or spatula against it when it's all done and looking smooth! icon_redface.gif

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:07am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the ideas... I'm excited to try this, I think it looks so nice on some cakes. I'll do a few practice runs on something other than the cake and hopefully it'll turn out right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%