Hurricane Dean......

Lounge By twinsline7 Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 6:55am by baybeemars

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:16am
post #1 of 8

ok ...how many are already preparing for it? I know they dont really 100% know where its going to hit if it hits the US...but here in Houston they keep saying prepare....dont panic...prepare. ....Ok so my mil calls me this morning and says Im at Walmart and theyre out of water already.... icon_confused.gif already!!! ....now granted I know there are still a few days that they can restock and get emergency back up in ...but I decide to go ahead and go to kroger near me...and I was able to get some cases of water....and only 4 gallons ....and I read a few things online that some gas stations have already ran out ...not all ...but some have....again there is still time for them to come in and replenish it...but what worries me is if this is now and it does head this direction Id hate to see tuesday or wednesday!!! icon_eek.gif

we did evacuate with Rita.....we made the miserable 21 hour trip...that would usually be a 2& 1/2 - 3 hour trip....Im not doing that again......no way now how!

Im just curious if anyone else is preparing?

7 replies
Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:39am
post #2 of 8

We are going to get a few gallons of water from water mills, and bags of ice to keep food in refregirators fresh in case the power goes off. Also if it looks like Dean will turn our way, we will close window shutters and put some wood boards over them. Other than that there is nothing much we can do but hope our house is strong enough to withstand the hurricane. We are not going to evacuate unless it reaches the category 5.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:26am
post #3 of 8

My thoughts and prayers are with anyone in its path. I hope you all continue to be safe!

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 8

we are not doing anything other than getting some extra water just in case and my DH has a generator so if power goes out we will be fine. we are about 2 1/2 hours from the cost so i thing if it hits in Houston (and they are saying it wont) than by the time it gets here it will just be a lot of rain.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 8

I'm in Florida, but I know first hand that FEMA is preparing for this one. My husband is a Life Flight Pilot here, and he left out this morning along with several other helicopters to help with rescue and hospital transports. They are setting up a "ground zero" in San Antonio and there will be at last count 300 - 400 rescue helicopters alone standing by to help. Our life flight base actually went out of service at midnight to get there today. Good luck to all on the gulf coast and help IS on the way.
Amy

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 8

I'm not anywhere near there but my best friend moved to Brownsville last year. I talked to her on the phone a couple days ago and she said the grocery store is sold out of canned food and water already there. She's not sure what she needs to do to get prepared, or if it'll even be that bad. I'm mostly worried for her because she can't swim and has a water phobia. I saved her once from a wave pool... I told her she has to call as soon as she possibly can after it goes over so I know she is safe. Even her husband is a little worried and he lived near Cancun for 5 years...

I hope this thing loses strength before it can reach you folks in TX. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:26am
post #7 of 8

I read today that even though they have moved the prediction further south more to Mexico...that until it crosses the Yucatan they really dont know what its going to do....soemthing about how after that area of land they have a chance to almost "renew" themselves...and its up to what the pressure around Mississippi and Alabamba does....nto to mention the lingering TS Erin.....

its so nerve wracking really....you dont want to get "caught" waiting til last min...but also with 5 kids its hard financially to go stock up on supplies just in case! Granted things like water canned goods etc. would be used...but thats something we budget for weekly...not all at one time!

anyway....guess we'll just watch and see.

baybeemars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baybeemars Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:55am
post #8 of 8

hi there ladies, im new to the site and wanted to say that im in Brownsville tx and am not really worried much for Dean...
I honestly dont think it will hit tx or any part of the united states, but thats just my opinion.. i know we will get some showers but i forcast that it will hit around Tampico mexico...
as for here,
last night gas was about 2.49 agallon and this morning it was 2.69 in some parts... i think thats an outrage, if they want people to prepare and leave just in case then why do they raise prices..i also noticed that water bottles was higher than usual.... but yes, water is pretty much gone and canned goods as well, as in chicken, tuna, spam anything like that... fruits are still there... i did light shopping last night and was wondering what would happen, if they would get new supplies soon and how soon..
my hubby works at one of our 3 super walmarts and said that they received an unexpected truck today filled with stuff to prepare for hurricanes... batteries, flashlights, food, water and other stuff... and they heard they will get another tomorrow but it might be 2 instead... so im glad to see that walmart is sending stuff for us all to prepare...

i hope that dean goes down in power before it hits the coast.... and my thoughts and prayers go to all that are being affected by it right now and will be hit by it...
on a personal note!!!
i hate hurricane season!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%