Camo Cake Order

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 9:12pm by bkdcakes

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:13am
post #1 of 14

I just got a phone call for a camo cake...I am pretty new and don't understand how you get the camo effect..can you tell me if I am right...crumb coat, use buttercream and make shapes in outlines then fill in? Or blobs of different colors and just try to smooth out?? Help me please

13 replies
xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:18am
post #2 of 14

I did mine with fondant. I had a green base color, rolled it out and then once I got it to where it was almost big enough to put on my cake, I put dots or lines of black, tan and dark brown fondant under the green and rolled it some more. It blended all together to make one big smooth caom effect. You can look at my pics and if you have any other questions, you can pm me

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:19am
post #3 of 14

Swirl brown and green together to get a camo effect. It works great and use a darker olive green for trim.

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:22am
post #4 of 14

Unfortunately I haven't dabbled (is that even a word) with fondant yet...and they said they wanted BC...but thank you! Nice cake!!!

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:29am
post #5 of 14

I guess your technique would depend on whether you want specific lines between the colors or if you want them to blend a little. For the camo deer hunter's cake in my pictures, I drew my outlines for my colors then filled them in with brown, tan, dark green, and black. Then once all my colors were in I smoothed it using the Viva paper towel method. It worked out really well. Be sure and post a picture so we can see how it turns out!

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:31am
post #6 of 14

I usually will make 3 bags olive, tan and black. then with a 12 tip I just go around the cake and do different paterns with the colors and after it crusts a little I smooth it with the paper towel technique. It is so easy and gives a great result hope this helps

LorraineF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineF Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:46am
post #7 of 14

After doing the Humvee cake, I was talking with a lady in the cake decorating store near me and she said she does camo by making a thick buttercream and putting blobs of olive drab, brown, and gray on wax paper and then covering it with another piece of waxed paper, and rolling it a rolling pin. She chills it, then lifts off one piece of the waxed paper and lays it on the cake--and it's all smooth and blended! I haven't tried it, but it sounded like a good way to do it. Wish I had run into her BEFORE the Humvee cake! icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 14

I dont know how big your cake is, but you could do a FBCT over the entire cake (I have a couple in my photos like that..the hibiscus cake and the winnie the pooh smash cake) It would look nice like that. Or you could do the star tip in different globs.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 14

I missed this when it was posted, but was looking at your beautiful cake that you got paid for and saw you had an order for a camo cake. I just did one. A lady at my church that decorates told me how to do mine and it worked great. I've got a few wrinkles, but I've got another order for one in a couple months and I think I can do it better.

Anyway, I crumb coated, then piped the camo design on. Then without a tip, just bags filled with different color frostings , I piped on big globs into the "'pattern" I had drawn. Let it set for about 10 minutes, then lightly powedered my hands with powdered sugar and mashed the frosting down to meet each other. That keeps it from mixing together. After it all crusted, I used the vivia paper towel method to smooth it out.

in2pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2pastry Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 14

I thought I would quick add my two cents. What I did for a requested gooms cake with camo was to take a picture of a camo piece of fabric. I then took the picture and scanned it onto a frosting sheet and placed that on top of a green buttercream iced cake. Then I added molded shot gun shells. It actually turned out really "manly" icon_biggrin.gif Hope this helps a little.

Kelli

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 14

Oh thank you all for your help..I have been looking at all of your cakes and they are awesome! Thank you for sharing your tips with me !!!!

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 14

When I did my camo cake, I first crumb coated the cake. Then I used a star tip and piped the different colors on the side of the cake and then smoothed it with a VIVA towel after it crusted. I have a picture of it in my photos.

geehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geehouse Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 14

I have a hunting/camo cake in my photos but not as detailed as most of these ladies. I just dabed different colors directly onto the cake and then smoothed it out and doing so blended them ok. I also used cinnamon sticks for a more "woody" look.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:12pm
post #14 of 14

I did mine with bc & a star tip. I made dark green, a brownish-green, brown, & black. I just looked at my son's camo coat & kinda followed the pattern. It was really easy & turned out cute. If I can find a pic, I'll post it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%