Bride Asked Me To Serve Cake At Wedding

Business By jenstastycakes Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 3:38pm by jenstastycakes

jenstastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstastycakes Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 24

Okay so I had my first "cake taste" with the bride. She is having a simple wedding reception with no food catered in and asked me if I would be willing to stay and cut and serve the cake at their reception. Bride stated that even though she knows this would cost more that knowing it is being handled is worth the price.

My question is how much do I charge for the cutting and serving of the wedding cake at her reception? It is a 3 tier, 2 layered, square wedding cake. Any ideas on price would be great!!!!

Thanks!

23 replies
SMRturtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMRturtle Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 24

Do you have an hourly rate that you expect to get? Also, I'm guessing it's on the weekend. If so, I would charge time and a half or double (or more) especially if it's time you wouldn't be at during "normal business hours".

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 24

$25 per hour minimum with a 4-hour minimum.

You will probably arrive about an hour prior to the reception to set up. Then you have to hang around until everyone arrives. Then wait for any little ceremonies they might do before cake cutting .... toasts, receiving line, etc. Then cutting the cake. Then clean up, tear down and loading your equipment.

They are paying for your time. If you're sitting in the kitchen reading a book waiting for the cake cutting time, then that is time you are NOT baking or booking an order with a bride, or most valuable of all, weekend time with family.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

They are paying for your time. If you're sitting in the kitchen reading a book waiting for the cake cutting time, then that is time you are NOT baking or booking an order with a bride, or most valuable of all, weekend time with family.

Excellent thing to remind all of us!! I think when I have a kitchen someday I am going to print this up big and hang it up!!

(Of course I will probably have a bunch of Debi-ism's all over the place! icon_lol.gif )

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 24

jenstastycakes,

I am a bride so I know this from experience. The catering company will charge a flat fee PER SERVING. I have seen it range from $0.50-$3 per person. In my case, the reception site who is providing the catering has included the cake cutting in my fee per person. It takes maybe an hour to cut and serve the cake, so there isn't much money in the per hour method of charging. If you suggest that she call around to find out how much the service costs, she will see she is getting a bargain if you charge at the lower end of the scale. Good luck to you.

indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmt

It takes maybe an hour to cut and serve the cake, so there isn't much money in the per hour method of charging.

You are not charging for the time it takes to CUT the cake ..... you are charging for the time you are required to be there.

If you had to pay an employee to set up the cake, then wait around to cut the cake, cut the cake, clean up and pack up, you'd have to pay them for ALL time they were there, NOT just the time they spent cutting the cake.

Even if they tell you to come back later, you still charge the drive time (to and from) AND charge the time that you are "on call". Because if you have to go back in an hour, then you can't make plans to see a movie with your family or you can't schedule a bridal tasting that may take 60-90 minutes.

They are paying for your time ..... ALL of your time. Not just the cake-cutting time.

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 24

indydebi, I was merely stating how I have personally seen this priced in the industry. I was not trying to start a debate or de-value any ones time.

indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 24

Oh no problem! I just didn't want anyone to be confused with an hourly rate .... to be sure they charged for all of the hours.

Our time is the one thing we tend to overlook when we are pricing something out. thumbs_up.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:

$25 per hour minimum with a 4-hour minimum.

You will probably arrive about an hour prior to the reception to set up. Then you have to hang around until everyone arrives. Then wait for any little ceremonies they might do before cake cutting .... toasts, receiving line, etc. Then cutting the cake. Then clean up, tear down and loading your equipment.

Very well said! Agreed 100%...

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 24

What happens if you say no? will you loose the client? do you whant to stay and cut the cake?

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 24

i agree 100% with indy

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 24

You also have to be careful offering or accepting an offer to serve. This starts getting into the "catering" area, and that requires a license and a whole lot of other red-tape, in most states anyway. At least this one it does....so I have been told.

I generally just stick to the delievery and set up routine. If they want someone else to serve it besides themselves, well that's what family members and friends are for....

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 24

When I did cut cakes it was 2 hours for $100.00. My mother and sister were actually my cake cutters. When you have six cakes in a day to deliver there's no way I could do it. Plus I have a problem tearing up a cake that took so long to make and I get teary eyed. I no longer provide cake cuttings and no one has complained yet.
Andrea

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 24

I haven't had to do this yet, but I would do it just like Debi said - charge for ALL the time, from the minute you leave the house to set up, to the minute you walk back through your front door. In all the weddings I've done, my cake was served either as dessert or at the evening buffet, so I could have been waiting around for 6 hours or so after set up. Now my DH and I would probably need to eat during that time too, so I'd include that in my price - not a 3 course meal, but even if we only grab a sandwich and a drink somewhere, it could easily cost us 20 euros or more! Plus most of these weddings are 1-2 hours away from my home, so there is no option of going back, plus there are the babysitting costs for my 5 yr old to consider too. I'd happily provide this service for those that require it, but it's not going to be at my expense!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:50pm
post #15 of 24

I would charge no less then $25 per hour, i know this horrid, but i do not cut cake that i make, period, i just don't have the heart to do it.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:12pm
post #16 of 24

I know the bride for the last wedding cake I did told me she had to pay the caterers $2 per serving on her cake to cut and serve. That's more than half the price of the cake. It feed 100. $200 to cut and serve a cake...........that's not bad at all. Especially when it took me a day and a half to do the cake.

indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:30pm
post #17 of 24

As the caterer, let me fill some of you in on why there are cake-cutting fees at facilities. (Those on here who have to meet a payroll every week will totally understand.......)

The facility did not make the cake.
The facility is not making a profit on the cake.
The facility is paying the staff to cut and serve the cake.
The facility is providing the plates and forks for the cake.
The facility is paying the guy who washes all of those extra plates.
Did I mention the facility is not making ANY money on this cake?

I equate it to if a customer called you and asked you to drive to their wedding reception, cut the Costco cake, bring the plates and forks, clean up the cake table when you were done, then drive home ..... for free. I doubt any of you would do it.

A facility who charges a cake-cutting fee is not charging the bride to "cut the cake". They are charging her for the incremental expenses involved in taking care of a food item that they didn't sell and they are not making any money off of.

I offer this info so that you can share with a bride WHY there is such a fee charged to her and may make these conversations with her easier. I believe a bride should understand not only WHAT she is paying for but WHY she is paying it.

Same logic applies to corkage fees when a bride supplies her own champagne or wine. The facility is making no money on the alcohol but the bride expects the facility to pay the staff to open the bottles, pour the bottles, provide the glasses for the guests, pay the guy to wash those glasses .... and did I mention they are making NO MONEY on the alcohol?

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:

As the caterer, let me fill some of you in on why there are cake-cutting fees at facilities. (Those on here who have to meet a payroll every week will totally understand.......)

The facility did not make the cake.
The facility is not making a profit on the cake.
The facility is paying the staff to cut and serve the cake.
The facility is providing the plates and forks for the cake.
The facility is paying the guy who washes all of those extra plates.
Did I mention the facility is not making ANY money on this cake?

I equate it to if a customer called you and asked you to drive to their wedding reception, cut the Costco cake, bring the plates and forks, clean up the cake table when you were done, then drive home ..... for free. I doubt any of you would do it.

A facility who charges a cake-cutting fee is not charging the bride to "cut the cake". They are charging her for the incremental expenses involved in taking care of a food item that they didn't sell and they are not making any money off of.

I offer this info so that you can share with a bride WHY there is such a fee charged to her and may make these conversations with her easier. I believe a bride should understand not only WHAT she is paying for but WHY she is paying it.

Same logic applies to corkage fees when a bride supplies her own champagne or wine. The facility is making no money on the alcohol but the bride expects the facility to pay the staff to open the bottles, pour the bottles, provide the glasses for the guests, pay the guy to wash those glasses .... and did I mention they are making NO MONEY on the alcohol?

I keep coming back to this thread because I wanted to reply so badly...but I didn't know how to say what I wanted to say without being "tacky"! THANKS DEBI for taking care of that for me! thumbs_up.gif

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:27am
post #19 of 24

I guess my above post was a little confusing...SO SORRY! I was thanking Debi for replying in the tactful way that she did so I didn't end up replying in my usual "tacky" way! icon_redface.gif

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:00am
post #20 of 24

I had a bride offer me $100 plus gas money to deliver the cakes and cookies before the wedding and come back at a specific time (5 hours) to cut the cake for her nieces to hand out to the guests. at first I wasn't sure how to respond but after thinking it over for a day I accepted the offer once I knew I had nothing else going on at that time. I only had to drive about 20 miles and was there less then an hour. I will offer this to others IF it's possible that day but i need to think about how many miles i'm actually willing to drive, i wouldn't do it if it was too far away.
It was nice to know that it was served and cut properly and I left with such and ego rush from hearing everyones reactions. i got a lot of "advertising" from doing that and many orders and new clientel. i got over the idea of cutting my own cake when i realized how much money i was making (wow that sounded bad lol) and how much i enjoyed seeing everyone enjoy both the decoration aspect and the taste.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:51am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

I guess my above post was a little confusing...SO SORRY! I was thanking Debi for replying in the tactful way that she did so I didn't end up replying in my usual "tacky" way! icon_redface.gif

*snort* Now THAT is funny! icon_biggrin.gif I got what you meant, though!

And Debi, NOW I understand a little better why venues charge such high fees...including venues who charge a corking fee. Of course, now that you have pointed it out so well I am slapping my forehead and saying "DUH!"

singsing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singsing Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #22 of 24

Make sure you know exactly what is expected before you do come up with a $figure.

If she is having no other catering then do you provide plates and forks?
Do you do the dishes?
Is it on paper? do you provide that? Do you clear/pick up guests plates after?
There could be a lot involved especially if there are no waiters or whatever and depending on where her reception is.

obviously the more you are expected to do the more you charge. If all you do is cut and put on a plate then I like the flat fee idea. If you have to clean up go by the plate (or how many the cake serves).

Just a thought.

indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:47pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by singsing

Do you clear/pick up guests plates after?

Oh this is a good point!

I make it very clear that "I am not a cleaning service. We clean up the FOOD TABLE area, not your guest tables." When they order a food buffet, we will go around clear the plates and forks because these are MY PLATES AND FORKS, (we use disposables with cake and appetizers) but we do not clean guest tables of trash. We are usually long gone by the time the event is over so we wouldn't be there anyway to do the final guest table cleaning.

BE SURE SHE UNDERSTANDS WHAT SERVICES YOU WILL PROVIDE.

jenstastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstastycakes Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:38pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I have no problems with cutting a cake that I have made, and I have no problems staying and cutting I think this would give me an opportunity to get more customers.

Thank You again for the advice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%