Can I Please Get Some Help!!

Decorating By gracy Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm by gracy

gracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracy Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 15

Hi, I need help in getting my cakes to smooth. I've tried smoothing my cake with the parchment paper as I was told in a wilton class but it is not working.I've also tried it by dipping my spatula in water. Please help me I dont know what else to do

14 replies
good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 15

With crusting buttercream, I have been using Melvia's method of foam paint roller. It works great. I bought a large for top of cakes and have a small on for smaller sides.
See link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-42675-share.html

Judy

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 15

I learned to use the hot knife method and apply a bit pressure. Always wipe off knife and redip in hot water then rewipe and smooth again.

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 15

Gracy, after your cake crusts, take a Viva paper towel and just use the palm of your hands. Trust me, I was having an awful time also, and this method is really the best so far. The Viva paper towels have no design on them so that will be what provides your smoothness. I have used paper towels that have a pattern, and it sometimes adds a nice little touch to the cake. HTH and good luck!!

p.s. Don't give up...just keep trying..you'll get it right, trust me!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 15

Try Melvir's foam roller method, it works like magic. Here's the link to the post http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=42675&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0 I used the viva paper towel method until I tried the roller and now it's all I use. It's truly amazing.

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 15

After I frost my cake I let it sit to get a crust. When I know that my frosting doesn't stick to the parchment paper or wax paper, then I smooth it. This is what I show my students when I teach the Wilton class. Sometimes I find it easier just to use wax paper. Do you use the spatula or the icing tip to frost your cake? Are you also using a turntable too? When I use the wax paper , it is really to just get my frosting smooth with out any lines. Hope this helps.

Monique

DivineDelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivineDelectables Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 15

I use the buttercream dream recipe and ice my cake with a paint spackle. Then after it crusts i use my finger to smooth out the seams. I have read that a foam paint roller works miracles but, I have not tried it.

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 15

hi gracy, welcome to CC!
when you tried the parchment paper smoothing did you allow the buttercream to crust before you applied the parchment? if not, give that a try.
also, if you're dipping your spatula in water, make sure the water is nice and hot.
there are a couple of techniques on this site that are a little bit different that you could try:
1. Upside down icing technique http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html
2. Foam roller technique - do a search in the forums for it.

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 15

hmmmm I just may have to do a home depot run tonite for a roller. icon_razz.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 15

First I got the big metal scraper, I guess like a spackling knife from the hardware section-a big one. After you put on a thick coat of icing (I usually use the icer tip, but not always) I then boil water on the stove and dip in the scraper. Sometimes I dry it, sometimes I dont, Ihavent figured out what I like best yet. Then I try to get the top pretty smooth, then I go onto the sides. I put the scraper at about a 45 degree angle and turn the turn table. Try not to stop turning until it gets all the way around. (see how they do it in the upside down icing technique in the articles) It will be very smooth. then I try to bring the extra icing from the side near the top over to the top of the cake. Then I use the viva method on the top(after it crusts) I like viva paper towel over parchment paper for smoothing. I use the fondant smoother on top of the viva and sort of iron it. I try not to viva the sides if possible, because I think it is smoother after the hot knife (spackler) technique. I havent tried the foam roller, but I know a lot of people are liking it. I still think smoothing is the hardest part of decorating so far! but I am starting to finally get the hang of it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 15

The foam roller is the BOMB! icon_lol.gif I used to use parchment paper or the hot knife technique, but my cake didn't always turn out even. The foam roller does a great job. just be sure to let you icing crust for about 30 minutes. icon_smile.gif

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:13am
post #13 of 15

I use the viva paper towel trick and then I put on a clean piece of white paper on the cake and go over it with a fondant roller.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 11:55am
post #14 of 15

Melvira's sponge roller trick really works well. I do lots of sheet cakes and will only use this method.

gracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you for your advice, I realy appreciate everyones help and I will try the diffrent methods that have been given.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%