How Would You Do This???? Or Would You At All???

Decorating By CakePhun Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 8:37pm by CakePhun

CakePhun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePhun Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 29

I have been asked to do a cake that resembles the below "castle" picture. I have never done any type of castle period ... so this to me looks impossible... any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!!

S
LL

28 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 29

WOW!!! Could you stack several large squares and start carving away???

Can't wait to see everyone else's suggestions....

tragicdeathpickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tragicdeathpickles Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 29

What about using the castle or haunted house shaped pan and make it lying flat?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 29

"I HAVE THE POWER!!" Oops, sorry, just reliving the old He-Man days! icon_wink.gif

I would make a square cake with a little bit of carving, frost, then use fondant to cover. Use a viener to make the brick lines if you don't have an impression mat, and make the face by hand. Airbrush for color effect.

kellykake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellykake Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 29

Try using 6" square cakes stacked on top of each other, using dowels in the middle to support the structure. Then carve the cake and mold out of Fondant. Depending on how many people you have to serve, you might want to use a larger size pan.

flytrap77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flytrap77 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 29

I would also say that stacked cakes, doweled, and iced.... then fondant that is airbrushed.

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 29

I would also stack some cakes...be sure to use dowels...and carve. I would use buttercream and then fondant decorations. Please post when you are done.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 29

hmm... Maybe you can do 3 cake bottle methods.. (its here somewhere.. gotta find it).. then pushing them together.and then adding your fondant to it.. The front of the castle (skeleton face).. use a big round bottle.. Maybe a three liter bottle.. lay it down and make your face on that from gumpaste or fondant.. so that when it's dry it will have that rounded look then add it to the front of the cake.. ..You can either use the impression Mat for the brick look, or Just get yourself some sponges and different colors and sponge it to death! LOL Good Luck!!!!

CakePhun Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:37am
post #9 of 29

Hey briansbaker,
I don't mean to be such a newbie, but what do you mean about the 3-bottles and the sponge castle thing? Thanks for your help everyone..getting some great Ideas.

S

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:10am
post #10 of 29

You are all more adventurous than me!! I took one look at it and said there is no way in hell I could do that!!! LMAO!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:34am
post #11 of 29

Bwhahahaha Mummy!! That's good stuff! icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:39am
post #12 of 29

I don't know about the main body of the cake but I would make the skull out of gumpaste or fondant ahead and dry it. Until he changed his mind and wanted a Harry Potter birthday this was what my son wanted so I had given it a little thought.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:44am
post #13 of 29

I wouldn't even know how to start a cake like that.

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:47am
post #14 of 29

I am glad you all know what advice to offer. I would never attempt it but GOOD LUCK!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:49am
post #15 of 29

I'm with Mummy. Holy Crap! Where would you start?????? Edible image anyone??

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:01am
post #16 of 29

LMAO It's definately a pass for me!!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 12:12pm
post #17 of 29

Hey.. Well here somewhere Doug had a site that showed how to make a wine bottle cake.. It basically looked like a paper towel holder.. and cake were round with a hole in the center.. they were placed on the wooden stick and iced in between and layed on top of each other until it was as tall as a wine bottle.. the sponge method.. you can get you some paper towels or sponges, get your colors in a bowl.. diluting it a little with water.. and sponge paint the colors onto your fondant.. to get that mixed color look.. am I making sense??

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:09pm
post #18 of 29

I would suggest for any piece that juts out, like the teeth, to build that up with fondant on the cake first, and then cover with fondant as usual. That way you don't have to try and carve that shape out of the cake. I hope that makes sense, it is a technique I have seen Debbie Brown use in her books, so if you have any or can get your hands on one, maybe check it out.
Good luck!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:18pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

"I HAVE THE POWER!!" Oops, sorry, just reliving the old He-Man days! icon_wink.gif

I would make a square cake with a little bit of carving, frost, then use fondant to cover. Use a viener to make the brick lines if you don't have an impression mat, and make the face by hand. Airbrush for color effect.

Yes what Melvira said!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:24pm
post #20 of 29

I second meghanb's suggestion. Try not to carve too much or you will lose stability. Build out any parts you can by sticking on pieces of molded fondant, and then cover the whole thing with a sheet of fondant to make it all seamless. Then add in the veins and such. I probably wouldn't try this cake personally, but if I had to, that's how I'd go about it! icon_smile.gif

jlfreedman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlfreedman Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:24pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

"I HAVE THE POWER!!" Oops, sorry, just reliving the old He-Man days!

LOL! I was just thinking, is that Castle Greyskull?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:28pm
post #22 of 29

I'm a newbie, and if it was me I would CHEAT!
Put a cake up on pillars, surround the pillars with a 'wall' of cake. That would give you the opening. Then try to cover the whole thing with MMF.
But that's just a newbies take. Image

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:39pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I'm a newbie, and if it was me I would CHEAT!
Put a cake up on pillars, surround the pillars with a 'wall' of cake. That would give you the opening. Then try to cover the whole thing with MMF.
But that's just a newbies take. Image

I like this idea! then you can put some He-Man action figures in the mouth of the castle.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:38pm
post #24 of 29

What happened? Did you make the cake?

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:52pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePhun

I have been asked to do a cake that resembles the below "castle" picture. I have never done any type of castle period ... so this to me looks impossible... any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!!

S

Second hand shops, here I come!

I'd make a big mold of the front of that suckah and just plater it onto my cakes! and be done!

But, I'd have to find the toy first! lol

it's pretty easy..just cover the front of the toy with corn starch and lay some pastillage over it and be done!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:56pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

Hey.. Well here somewhere Doug had a site that showed how to make a wine bottle cake.. It basically looked like a paper towel holder.. and cake were round with a hole in the center.. they were placed on the wooden stick and iced in between and layed on top of each other until it was as tall as a wine bottle.

I think it was somewhere on the forum.egullet...not 100% sure but I remember seeing the cakes stacked up on the paper towel-type holder..

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:57pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

Quote:
Quote:

Hey.. Well here somewhere Doug had a site that showed how to make a wine bottle cake.. It basically looked like a paper towel holder.. and cake were round with a hole in the center.. they were placed on the wooden stick and iced in between and layed on top of each other until it was as tall as a wine bottle.

I think it was somewhere on the forum.egullet...not 100% sure but I remember seeing the cakes stacked up on the paper towel-type holder..

I think if you go to the sugarcraft web site you will see instructions on doing the upright wine bottle

www.sugarcraft.com

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 6:05pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

I think if you go to the sugarcraft web site you will see instructions on doing the upright wine bottle

oops..sorry..didn't mean to lead you on a pointless hunting exercise...my mind must be going... icon_redface.gif

CakePhun Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 8:37pm
post #29 of 29

thank you my wonderful, amazing, talented friends here on cake central. As it turns out I turned down the offer. I felt like it was way too complicated and that I really didn't understand enough to take it on. Also, this cake was for a friend and as it turns out..they don't have any money right now. So I am happy to report I am not spending days and days on a cake and not getting paid for it (even though cake decorating is not about money for me... it is about art!!)

I am keeping this thread close though ... just incase something else comes up. Thank you all so much for your continued input. You are all awesome!

S

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%