Sugar Cookies And Buttercream Icing

Baking By tifflp Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 9:24pm by KarensCookies

tifflp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tifflp Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:19am
post #1 of 19

I am learning all about cookies and would like to try to do some with regular buttercream does any one have any pictures of it done. I LOVE how cookies by design does theres..any ideas to this type of cookie?
Thanks

18 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:40am
post #2 of 19

Regular buttercream remains soft (and softens the cookie) So they cannot be packaged or stacked.

You can use rolled icing (fondant or rolled butterceam) to cover cookies.

Take a look at the tutorial for cookies in the articles section.

tifflp Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:47am
post #3 of 19

Thanks for the information....I wondered why no one used regular buttercream for cookies cause it is so good! I have used RBC and love it...I was just looking for a change! Thanks

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:54am
post #4 of 19

I use buttercream. It does remain soft but if you use a crusting buttercream it will "set". I also wrap mine. you just have to make sure you let them dry. THey will mess up easier than the others but this is what my customers prefer (for now, until I can convert them lol) I have posted some pictures of a few cookies that I have done.

tifflp Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:02am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieinMO

I use buttercream. It does remain soft but if you use a crusting buttercream it will "set". I also wrap mine. you just have to make sure you let them dry. THey will mess up easier than the others but this is what my customers prefer (for now, until I can convert them lol) I have posted some pictures of a few cookies that I have done.

Your cookies (and cakes) look great! So all of yours is just regular crusting buttercream..I am not looking to do any fancy bouquets or anything I just love to make...and give them away!

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:03am
post #6 of 19

I don't know nothing about cookies, but I see in the morning in the galleries a beautiful cookies, and now I want to do some recipes,.... Someone there can tell me what kind the cookies I can bake and decorate???

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 19

If you like the buttercream taste, you would probably like Alice's cookie icing recipe. It dries hard enough to stack, but stays soft when you bite into it. I've used it for my flower cookies in my photos. It's delicious.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1961-Alices-Cookie-Icing.html

And if you want to see my cookies, they are here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=679223

Personally, I don't like royal icing on cookies. I'd like to try some fondant covered ones, though. Just cut the fondant (or rolled buttercream) with the same cookie cutter and place on the baked cookie while still a little warm.
Then you can add any additional accents with piped icing.

sisita, you can use most any sugar cookie recipe to bake and decorate. Lot's of CC'ers use the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe found here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-5-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisita

I don't know nothing about cookies, but I see in the morning in the galleries a beautiful cookies, and now I want to do some recipes,.... Someone there can tell me what kind the cookies I can bake and decorate???

Penny's cookies are wonderful. I got her recipe from a cookie demonstration I went to at a bakery in Richardson. It's in the recipe section of this website.

Good Luck!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:10am
post #9 of 19

I second Alices recipe. It's tasty and dries enough to stack. I also use Toba G.'s glace icing and love it too.

That's what I used on the scooby and spongebob cookies in my photos.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

CharlieinMO wrote: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just looking at your cookies and I'm amazed that you were able to do them with a regular crusting buttercream. How did you get them to look so smooth using bc? Also, how long do you let them dry before packaging? TIA. Jodie

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 19

I can't answer for her, but I have smoothed buttercream out on my cakes using a damp paint brush to lightly smooth the BC. I am sure you could use that on a cookie as well.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks Jodie! I use a viva paper towel. I just ice them like a cake basically, let set for a minute or two and then use a viva paper towel. Then I decorate and usually since I am doing them late at night after kids are in bed I just let them sit over night and bag up in the morning. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions just let me know. icon_smile.gif

KarensCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarensCookies Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:44pm
post #13 of 19

The recipe I use is very similar to the Cookies by Design recipe. It's basically a shortening-based butterceam with meringue powder added to give it extra stability. You can see my recipe here:

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html#recipe09

And you can see examples of cookies done with the icing here:

http://www.karenscookies.net/gallery/index.php?cat=12

This recipe is pretty much all I use, and the frosting dries well enough to stack, package, shrink wrap, etc.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 19

I use Rolled Buttercream and royal icing for any details.

Also, when I do use butercream on my cookies I will add some meringue powder to stiffen up the icing.

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm
post #15 of 19

I use royal icing if I'm going to package the cookies, but for my flowerpot arrangements I use buttercream because customers like the taste so much. In my pics I have two cookie flower arrangements. One is tulips and the other is large flowers. For the tulips, I used a large pastry brush and thinned my buttercream and used the brush to "paint" the cookies then I sprinkled them with sugar crystals. For the larger cookies I just iced them like I would a cake.

Oh, I also dye my cookie dough when I make these arrangements so that they are colored all the way thru and the back looks pretty also.

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:13pm
post #16 of 19

Karen,

Have you ever tried using butter instead of the shortening?

I've taken a buttercream recipe that I love and added meraigne powder to it. I then piped it just as I would flood if I was using royal icing. They didn't turn out too bad. They dried ok to package but you needed to be a little careful. I'm just wondering if you've ever tried it with your recipe and what the results were.

Thanks!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 8:20pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks for posting all the information on this thread.

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 9:13pm
post #18 of 19

I made Red Velvet cookies and just a basic buttercream to frost the cookies with. They were gone as fast as I could make them thumbs_up.gif

KarensCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarensCookies Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 9:24pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay52178

Karen,

Have you ever tried using butter instead of the shortening?

You know, I never have, but I keep meaning to.... Old habits die hard I guess! icon_biggrin.gif BUT.... someone wrote to me once that they had tried it and it worked really well, so it might be worth a shot. I really am going to try it one of these days (if I can get out of automatic pilot mode long enough to try something different!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%