Doctored Cake Mix Question

Decorating By zonamom Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 3:35pm by mboyle

zonamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zonamom Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 12

I'm making a white cake out of the box for a baby shower, I'd like to know what I can add to make it a little better.I read on here the other day about someone using white chocolate pudding in the mix but I couldn't find any at the store the closest I could find was cheesecake or vanilla but I want the cake to be white. Anyone have any ideas using normal grocery items and what works best!

Thanks for any help!

11 replies
sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 12

hey, I know some people here have used caramel coffee-mate in the mix and that is s'posed to be very good .

I have used french vanilla pudding which made the cake denser.I have also used a few drops of butter rim loran oil.

did you searchthe cake mix recipe section ??

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 12

I have never tried the pudding trick. I'm not sure how to do it. I usually add extra vanilla or almond extract.

cake2decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake2decorate Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 12

hey zonamom,
Wish I could remember who to credit for this one icon_redface.gif You can switch out the cake mixes and different pudding mixes to get different flavors. Kinda like a create-your-own cake icon_smile.gif They all have been delicious, I've tried MANY combinations and they are really good. (The cheesecake pudding addition is good!)
Here's the copy of the recipe...

Mine are very moist but when the bride and groom go to cut or the cake cutter in fact they crumble, so I am looking for recipes that you have tried or suggestions to this problem.
Well, I went on www.duncanhines.com and tried the create a recipe. Used the folllowing:
1 Duncan Hines Deluxe White Cake Mix
1 Jello Instant Pudding Mix - 4 serving size
4 large egg whites
I added 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
Mix on low for 30 seconds, then on medium for 2 minutes. Then bake in greased and floured pan as per the box directions.
I tripled this for a larger sheet cake and I have to say, as much as I am not a big cake mix fan, it was darn good. It does sink a bit after it comes out of the oven, but it has a great texture and is nice and moist. So I would do it again. If you haven't tried out this site, it is pretty good. Probably would give it an A in my search for the best white cake. That would be A out of a rating that might possibly come up with an possible A+. Still, pretty darn impressive.

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 12

This is the recipe I use for my white cakes. It's awesome!! Moist, yummy and stays white.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-20-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

Hope that helps, ~Denise

zonamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zonamom Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks a bunch. I think I'll go ahead and try it with the cheesecake pudding... icon_biggrin.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:19am
post #7 of 12

The recipe that I use with cake mixes is:
1 box cake mix (any flavor)
4 eggs
1/2 Cup Oil
1 Cup Water
1 box instant pudding mix (any flavor) (4 serving size)

Makes a very moist cake every time as long as your oven is not too hot.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:27am
post #8 of 12

I just would like to add.... if the box calls for oil, use oil but some call for butter, so check your box and use what they ask for. And also, I use milk instead of the water, I find the taste to be a little richer that way. HTH.

mboyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mboyle Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:30am
post #9 of 12

[center]hey, I know some people here have used caramel coffee-mate in the mix and that is s'posed to be very good [/center

How much do you use??? Sounds good.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:13am
post #10 of 12

You replace some for any of the wet ingredients, either water of milk. And use as much as you want as long as the total wet ingredient is what the recipe calls for. HTH

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 12

For the creamer; if the mix calls for 1 1/4 cup of water I use 1/4 cup of creamer. It gives the cake a really good with out being too sweet. You'll need to play with it to get the taste you want. Good luck.

mboyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mboyle Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%