Pumpkin Cake Question

Decorating By mkerton Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 8:56pm by TexasSugar

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 22

I am going to make a pumpkin cake (two bundt cakes to make a 3D pumpkin) my question is this....first has anyone ever made the cake pumpkin cake with buttercream icing.....I am talking about whether or not a recipe for pumpkin cake (that usually has a glaze on it---really yummy) will taste good with buttercream on it. I was going to experiment and make a small batch up and try it (my girlfriend wants one for a family get together but I dont want it to end up not tasting good)....but I am running out of time!

I have thought about just making it a chocolate cake (my friends second choice) but if it was good, I think it would be cool to make it pumpkin.

Also is there anything I should know about the general construction of the bundt cake pumpkin? Its going to be traveling a couple of hours, so I think I am going to put a couple of dowels in it to keep it from sliding....

21 replies
mkerton Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 22

anyone anyone??????

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 22

I don't know about the taste of pumpkin with buttercream, but I saw a pumpkin cake done in a women's magazine recently... It was on the cover of either Women's Day or Family Circle (I think). I didn't look at the article, but I assume directions for the assembly were inside. Maybe you could look at that! It was on the newstand yesterday, so I assume it's fairly recent. Hope this is helpful.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 22

I did it last year. I just added a teaspoon of cinnamon to the buttercream. It tastes great and the little specs of cinnamon just added to the realistic effect of the buttercream.

Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 22

I am doing something similar this year, and I was thinking about making a cream cheese icing to go on it. I'm going to cover mine in fondant, though.

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 22

Have you seen this pumpkin cake ?

It is unbelievable, it looks so real.

If you pm her, she might give you some info. on doweling it, she sent them to me, but I can't get to it right now, or I would send it to you.

I'm sure she will help, if not pm me, and I'll get back to you later today with the info she gave me.
LL

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 22

I used the crusting cream cheese icing recipe on this site, it is really good with pumpkin. I just stacked two bundt cakes together, iced it with the cream cheese icing, then used a popsicle stick to make the indentations since they tend to get lost with all the smoothing. It's in my photos if you're interested.

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 22

I am going to make one as well. I am going to make a Pumpkin Spice Cake with Maple Frosting. Betty Crocker (I think) also has a Cinnamon Swirl cake mix that is yummy and good with Buttercream Dream frosting (CC recipe)

mkerton Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 22

I may just have to try the crusting cream cheese icing.....

thanks everyone for the comments....I am so excited to try this (cause I think they look sooooo cool)..........

mkerton Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbrats

Have you seen this pumpkin cake ?

I would love to PM the person who did this cake.....can you tell me who did it?

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 22

If you decide to do BC, I've read on here a couple of people adding Coffeemate to their BC icing--and I think I also read that they have a pumpkin spice flavor, so maybe you could add that to the BC!
HTH!

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:36pm
post #12 of 22

Mkerton, when I was in the grocery store last night, I saw Coffeemate liquid creamer in a spice flavor. icon_surprised.gif I bet that if you used this in your buttercream icing instead of the water, it would make a delicious flavor with the pumpkin cake. thumbs_up.gif I plan to try it myself, I'm just not sure how soon. If you do try it, please let me know. Thanks.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyz

If you decide to do BC, I've read on here a couple of people adding Coffeemate to their BC icing--and I think I also read that they have a pumpkin spice flavor, so maybe you could add that to the BC!
HTH!

Ho Ho! Our posts must have just crossed paths. Great minds....... icon_lol.gif

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 22

...think alike! =) hehe!

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:21pm
post #15 of 22

JulieBugg2000

She is the 1 who made this pumpkin cake , isn't it gorgeous ?
LL

mkerton Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 22

it is gorgeous...and that coffeemate creamer is a fabulous idea..........wow.....I didnt know they had a spice flavor.....after the kids wake up from their nap we will have to head out to get some....

Thanks guys you are the best....

penster1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penster1 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 22

I have also made this cake and buttercream works just fine.

Try baking a small amount of your cake batter in a frozen juice can and use it for the stem. I also found a need trick for making a leaf. Find a nice shaped leaf wash it well, paint it with melted chocolate and let dry, when dry gently peal the leaf away and trim the excess chocolate away. Presto!! The perfect fall leaf.

mkerton Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 22

thanks for the info.......I have a recipe for a pumpkin cake ring (normally made in a bundt cake pan) so I thought I would try it.....

brownlg05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownlg05 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:21pm
post #19 of 22

On the note of this topic, I wondered : Does anyone have a REALLY good, light & fluffy pumpkin cake recipe?? I tried one this weekend by Family Circle, and it was more like a pumpkin brick than cake. Gross. I want to make a 3D pumpkin for the holidays also ... but I need time to practice!
Thanks in advance!

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 22

coffeemate does have a pumpkin pie spice creamer. It is sooooo yummy. Haven't used it in a cake.....yet. icon_wink.gif

mkerton Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownlg05

On the note of this topic, I wondered : Does anyone have a REALLY good, light & fluffy pumpkin cake recipe?? I tried one this weekend by Family Circle, and it was more like a pumpkin brick than cake. Gross. I want to make a 3D pumpkin for the holidays also ... but I need time to practice!
Thanks in advance!

I will let you know home mine comes out....might be too dense a cake (cant remember its been a year since I had it).......but it was off the Betty Crocker website.....

I too would love some suggestions if someone has the perfect recipe!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:56pm
post #22 of 22

I put a ground cinnamon in my icing when I did my pumpkin cake. I can't remember if I did a pumpkin or spice cake but I think cinnamon icing would be a great match for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%