Instructions Wanted For Making A Standing '40' Cake Topper

Decorating By kembury Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 2:01pm by baergarivera

kembury Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kembury Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 13

I'm making a 40th wedding anniversary cake and my idea includes a '40' standing on top of the cake. I was thinking of making it out of MFF but I'm not sure how to go about doing so. Does anyone have instructions on how to do this? Thanks!

12 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 13

I have seen on here where people just use some gumpaste, roll it into a snake, and then form it into the name or number they want. You could then paint it with luster dust. I would imagine gumpaste would be better because it hardens more thoroughly. Maybe that will help you decide!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 13

I did a 90 topper. I made one out of fondant mixed with gum tragacanth and used the method described by step0nmi. I poke a hole with a tooth pick into the bottom, piped a small dot of royal icing inside then I inserted wires with little hooks on them into the hole. I also make some backups out of royal icing. I dried them all in the oven with the light on (no heat). Unfortunately I broke my fondant one when I went to insert it into the cake. My wire was too long and I put pressure in the wrong spot. I ended up using the royal icing ones and they looked good too. To insert them into the cake I first inserted cocktails straws, then slipped the wire into the straws. You can see a picture of it in my photos.

ETA: I meant to say if I had it to do again I would use more gum trag or use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste fondant.

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 13

I made a big '2' for the top of my daughter's bday cake out of fondant. I didn't mind somewhat squarish edges so I just put a bit slab of fondant down, cut a number 2 out of it and then let it dry.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdhelbling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdhelbling Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 13

I made a 35 and a 60 out of chocolate. I found a numbers coloring page on the Internet and just used it to pipe the chocolate. Then I piped tabs on the bottom so I could sink them down into the cake. It worked really well, but if it's hot, you could have a problem.

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 9:57am
post #7 of 13

i want to make a topper from royal icing like the one on the wilton website, can i use cocktail stick instead of a wire to use when inserting in the topper?

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 11:22am
post #8 of 13

I would like to suggest that you make extra of the royal icing one and make it slightly thick. Royal tends to break easily. Also, you should use something sturdy to hold it up.Perhaps like a sucker stick or something.

I make my toppers from gumpaste and then deorate with royal icing and dusts.

HTH

Julia

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 11:49am
post #9 of 13

I did mine out of fondant and painted it with luster dust. I also did a cool one out of color flow and it broke b/c I painted it and it must have gotten too soft. You can see it in my photos. Its the black and pink polka dot cake, did it for my own 40th bday.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:22pm
post #10 of 13

I made a 2 to go on top of a cake this week with 50/50 gumpaste and fondant mixture. Cut it out with a cookie cutter, inserted wire, painted with luster dust, then placed in the oven with the light on and it is perfect icon_smile.gif

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:35pm
post #11 of 13

I just made a 40th wedding anniversary cake last weekend. And I actually made a number 40 standing on top of the cake. I had never done this before either and experimented all week with different methods. I ended up using MMF and added a little gumpaste. I went out to Michaels and bought a cheap clay extactor ($4.99). I used the biggest circle tip and piped it through to form the 4 and 0. I layed it down and let it set for a couple of hours. Then I took silver florist wire and inserted it into the long part of the 4, from the bottom up all the way to the top and on one side of the 0 for stablility. When I made the 0, I made it really tall rather than round, so one side would be straight to accommodate the wire. I let the numbers dry completely laying down for a few days, and it stayed up perfectly on top of the cake. I actually made a few just in case it didn't hold up for the entire party. I tinted the MMF ivory and painted it with white pearl dust. It look amazing! Good Luck!

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 13

the easiest is to get a nice thick consistency royal and pipe it on wax paper, and you can actually pipe the pokers that stick into the cake from the royal too. it works GREAT! make a few because you are bound to break one peeling them off.

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 13

kembury,

SUGGESTION, WHY DON'T YOU USED ROYAL ICING AND PIPE OUT THE NUMBER THEN TAKE LUSTER DUST AND SPRINGLE IT OVER IT LET IT SIT MAKE SURE YOU MAKE MORE THAN ONE JUST IF ONE BREAKS AND THERE YOU HAVE IT.

HOPE THIS HELPS. GOD BLESS MICHELLE thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%