Tall Cactus On A Cake....anyone Ever Done This.

Decorating By Rambo Updated 25 Oct 2006 , 11:08pm by KimAZ

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 9

Hello Everyone, I've been asked to do a Cars themed cake (from the Disney movie) First of all there are a lot of wonderful cakes out there in the galleries but I was thinking I would like to use dessert for the backdrop and want to make a tall 3D cactus for an accent. I know you can make trees out of icecream cones but any ideas for a cactus, the forked kind? I suppose I could try my hand at molding fondant into one, but I thought I'd see what other great ideas you all have for me.

So here's the challenge; a tall, forked cactus made of something other than fondant. Any ideas??

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 9

rice krispie treats???

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 9

Rice Krispies sound like a great idea! And if it's for a little boy's party, you could even cover with something other than icing i.e. green sour punch straws or something! Just a thought! HTH!

Rambo Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 9

Ahhhh!! See I knew I came to the right place. I always forget about how moldable rice krispies are. Thanks guys

olberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olberg Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 9

i made cactus out of royal icing tinted green for a farewell cake for my cousin who moved to arizona

Rambo Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 9

Okay I ended up doing Fondant, what do you think?
LL

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 9

Yippee-ky-yi-yay!

jjs1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjs1227 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 9

Great Cactus!!!! don't you just love fondont!! Can't wait to see the whole cake.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 9

I had to giggle at the "forked" cactus comment. I live in Arizona and these cactus are all over the place near me and I thought I'd just share that they are called Saguaro cactus.

Yours turned out just great!
KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%