Wedding Cake Molds By Kathy Scott

Decorating By mariannedavis Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 3:14am by mariannedavis

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone used Kathy Scott's mini wedding cake molds? I was wondering how easy/difficult they are to use, and also, are they really better than simply cutting out cake circles from a sheet cake, stack 'em up, and decorate them?

Each set is $40 plus shipping, so I was hoping to get some advise and opinions before I invest...right now I spend much more money than I make!

Here's the link to the product:

http://stores.ebay.com/Sweet-Expressions-Silicone-Molds_Mini-Wedding-Cakes_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ18QQftidZ2QQtZkm

11 replies
AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry I can't help you but I took a look at them and would love to know how they work. I do a few miniature wedding cakes for honeymooners and this may be easier. Can you explain?

mariannedavis Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:42am
post #3 of 12

From what I understand the kit works like this: 1) you coat the molds with chocolate; 2) cut cake circles to match each size tier; 3) put the cake into the mold; and 4) turn it out onto the plate.....and it's done! Anything that easy sounds a bit too good to be true, yes? icon_confused.gif

AlamoSweets Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:35am
post #4 of 12

It does sound easy. Hopefully someone will post that has used the mold before.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:27am
post #5 of 12

I took her class at Cake Camp 2006. The molds are wonderful. Almost like mariannedavis described, you pour melted chocolate mixed with paramount crystals into the mold, then empty it and chill it briefly.

Once set, you add a dab of icing to hold the cake in the mold, the add the cut cake. Pour on some more chocolate to fill and finish the mold.

the cakes are beautiful.

AlamoSweets Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 12

Are there pictures anywhere of the finished cakes?

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 12

If you go into the item for sale, there's pictures of the finished ones. WOW do they look GREAT!!!

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 12

If I were doing minture cakes for the honeymooners, I would prefer to do it with filling between each layer, so it can taste exactly like their wedding cake. For me taste is more important than looks.

AlamoSweets Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 12

Maybe not so much for honeymooners but for anniversaries and reception centerpieces. You are right they look great decorated.

mariannedavis Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks, JoAnn! I just saw the photos on the sale page...really nice.

I still wonder if they are easier than cutting cake circles, stacking them on a small plate, and decorating mini cakes the "old fashioned way"?

I guess what I'm REALLY asking is:

Are the molds worth the money (in your opinion) because they'll save me time and trouble?

Thanks for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

Marianne

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 12

I have one of Kathy's petit four kits, and it is a fabulous system. Have you ever tried to do mini cakes? I find them enormously fiddly and difficult to frost - very time-consuming and frustrating. Mine just look sloppy, especially the stacked mini-wedding style. With Kathy's system, a beautiful product is virtually guaranteed. You do have a cake that is covered in either chocolate or candy melts rather than frosting or fondant (there is frosting inside the coating), but they are gorgeous. So, I guess their value depends on what you really want/need from your product. I think the chocolate or candy melt covering is very tasty, and by using either paramount crystals or a bit of shortening, the coating is soft enough to easily bite through.

mariannedavis Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #12 of 12

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%