Cake Boards

Decorating By sarajohnson Updated 16 Oct 2006 , 8:46pm by aobodessa

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:39am
post #1 of 9

I recently posted something about cake boards and forgot to ask do you cover the cardboard that you place the cake on with fondant too? Or do you leave it, especially if the cake is for a wedding? Nobody wants to see cardboard right? Im trying to start my own cake buisiness and know nothing except baking!! THank you.

8 replies
ellynns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellynns Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 5:10am
post #2 of 9

you should always cover your cake boards, especially for wedding cakes. when covering boards for wedding cakes try using decorative foils from a cakes store. it is always so pretty and blend the colors with those of the wedding decorations.

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 9:59am
post #3 of 9

Awesome, thank you!!

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 9

I almost never cover my boards, especially for a wedding cake. Part of the reason is that I am using boards that have a grease-proof/waxy coating on them that prevents "bleeding" of the shortening/butter into the board.

On wedding cakes, I match the size of my board to the size of the cake. Then when I ice my tiers, I just treat it as if it's part of the cake and the edges get iced right along with the cake. If it's not stacked on top of another cake, I will generally use a decorative plate (tiers on the table, satellite tiers, pillar & plate construction, etc.).

Hope this helps you.

Odessa

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 9

I concure with aobodessa~ No need to cover a cake board if your cake is on an appropriately sized board. It won't be seen anyway!! Now as far as a display board, it is very chic to cover the board with fondant..

Amy

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 9

Doesn't the board loose strength if it isn't covered and the grease soaks in? I can understand if you use a board that is covered in wax or something so it doesn't soak it up, but I wouldn't want my board to get weak at all when holding something important up like a wedding cake!
I think it looks nicer too when they are cutting the cake. It is just one of those details that helps.

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 9

Are we talking regular cake boards or the food safe ones with the design on them? I thought the ones w/out the design weren't food safe and had to be covered. Am I wrong?

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 9

Sure I place all my cakes on an appropriately sized cake cardboard but then THAT is "glued" with bc or royal to a separator plate (plastic) that then is fitted into the platic dowels pushed into the tier below for a stacked cake! Doweling a cake like Wilton prefers is just unfathomable to me. It just doesn't seem sturdy enough and yes, it would seem the cake boards would "wilt" under pressure. I think though that those who do this method might double up on the boards crisscrossing the make up of the board for added strength.

Amy

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiKim

Are we talking regular cake boards or the food safe ones with the design on them? I thought the ones w/out the design weren't food safe and had to be covered. Am I wrong?

Actually, my local cake supply store carries boards that are NOT designed, but DO HAVE a "food safe" (i.e., waxy) coating, so the grease doesn't soak in.

If I have a cake (like homemade carrot) that does have a great deal of oil in the mix, I may cover the board, but not always; it depends on when I am icing/delivering.

As for doweling, they don't bother me; but any tier 12" or larger, I use the hollow plastic ones that can be cut to size with a utility knife. They work really well, just like the push-in pillars and are very secure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%