Can't Find Popcorn Salt/help...

Decorating By susies1955 Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 8:00am by susies1955

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 39

We live where there aren't that many stores and I went to all of them and have had no luck finding popcorn salt.
Where is the best place to buy it on line and what exactly does the packaging look like???????
Thanks,
Susie

38 replies
mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 39

I put my table salt in the spice grinder and it comes out very powdery fine and I've had no problems.

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 39

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Popcorn_salt.htm

I buy mine at walmart for less than a buck. above is a link to what the container looks like.

I love it and I do think it makes a difference...

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 39

I use a sea salt that's really fine. Maybe that would work, the brand is Baliene and I get it at the grocery store, no fancy gourmet shop

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 39

If you don't have a spice grinder, put regular table salt into your blender and give it a spin on high. Pulse it several times and put it on high again for a few seconds.

susies1955 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 39

Thanks for the answers everyone. icon_smile.gif
Appreciate it!
Susie

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 39

I found the popcorn salt in the snack food isle next to the popcorn, i haven't seen it in the baking/spice isle with the rest of the salt. Granted it took me awhile to figure this out b/c in my logic, shouldn't salt be with salt? Well evidently not! LOL

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 39

I found mine on a stand in the middle of an aisle between the snack foods and the soft drinks. I looked for a long time, up and down every aisle. at every package. I should have asked someone.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I found the popcorn salt in the snack food isle next to the popcorn, i haven't seen it in the baking/spice isle with the rest of the salt. Granted it took me awhile to figure this out b/c in my logic, shouldn't salt be with salt? Well evidently not! LOL

For heaven's sake, you surely don't expect a grocery store to put things in a logical place, do you? Last week I found the canning jars on top of the frozen food freezer and finally had to ask about canning lids. Should I have known they were next to the A-1 Sauce and catsup??????? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 39

I'm curious, what do you use popcorn salt for?

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

I'm curious, what do you use popcorn salt for?

When you make Rolled Buttercream as its supper fine salt ... You can also use it in your buttercream recipe when it calls for salt as like I said its fine and it mixes in really well..

To find popcorn salt you have to get it in the area where the popcorn is.. its LT. Blue and small in size...

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 39

I got mine from my son when he worked in our small town's cinema. They had a giant bucket and I got a small container filled up. The owners were more than happy to help me out.

It's really yellow though. I haven't tried using it yet.

Ladycake Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

I got mine from my son when he worked in our small town's cinema. They had a giant bucket and I got a small container filled up. The owners were more than happy to help me out.

It's really yellow though. I haven't tried using it yet.

if its yellow mostly its buttered flavor salt.... I use just the plain white popcorn salt...

susies1955 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 39

I had checked the ailes where the salts are and the where the popcorn bags are too. We lack a lot of products around here. LOL!
Thanks,
Susie

MyraNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyraNC Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:32pm
post #15 of 39

I got mine from WalMart so you might want to try there

susies1955 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:33pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyraNC

I got mine from WalMart so you might want to try there

Been there! NOPE, no popcorn salt in northern NY. LOL!
Thanks,
Susie

Torte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torte Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm
post #17 of 39

I also grind my own. I only use table salt.

Ladycake Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:50pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torte

I also grind my own. I only use table salt.

That works too.. LOL

lorrieg Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #19 of 39

I'll probably have to grind my own then. There could be worse things I have to do. icon_wink.gif

lorrieg Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #20 of 39

I'll probably have to grind my own then. There could be worse things I have to do. icon_wink.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #21 of 39

Ladycake, thanks for the info.
I've never made rolled buttercream, is there a good recipe and when do you use it?
When I make my regular buttercream I use salted butter so I don't add any salt, maybe I'll try unsalted and add the popcorn salt and see how that tastes.
Thanks
Jibbies

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:50pm
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by susies1955

Been there! NOPE, no popcorn salt in northern NY. LOL!
Thanks,
Susie

what part of NY are you in susies1955? There's a HUGE supermarket in Kingston, it's called Hannafords, if you're not far that might be a good place to check. I know most of the grocery stores up there are pretty limited in their products icon_sad.gif

susies1955 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:26pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglau

what part of NY are you in susies1955? There's a HUGE supermarket in Kingston, it's called Hannafords, if you're not far that might be a good place to check. I know most of the grocery stores up there are pretty limited in their products icon_sad.gif

Hum, I think there is a Hannafords about an hour away.
I'm way up north in Saint Lawrence County. I'm a half hour from Canada and 2 hours from Vermont.
I'll find it or maybe grind my own table salt as suggested. icon_smile.gif
Thanks,
Susie

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:43pm
post #24 of 39

Are you looking in the spice section or the popcorn section of the store? Also, you can use french fry salt for this, only some come with some parsley in it. Be careful of that.

You can also just take a teaspoon of hot water and put your dash of salt into it. Stir it with a toothpick or your finger until it is dissolved and then add it to the icing, and whip it well.

That's what I do, and it works like a charm! Don't kill yourself looking for a specialty salt when table is so versitile.....and cheap! Good luck! It will make your BC dreamy!!

thumbs_up.gif

susies1955 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:47pm
post #25 of 39

Momkiksbutt.
I won't kill myself..........thanks for the warning. LOL! I shop every week and if it jumps at me I'll get it. icon_smile.gif
I will just use table salt dissolved as you mentioned. Sounds like a great plan.
Thanks,
Susie

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #26 of 39

if you go to the morton salt page (link provided in my earlier post on this thread) there is a product finder section- you just have to select what you are looking for, along with your zip code and they will tell you what stores near you carry it.

susies1955 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:59pm
post #27 of 39

Ok thanks Deana I'll do that. icon_smile.gif
Susie

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 9:05pm
post #28 of 39

I had to order mine online, but I won't be doing that again. Next time, I'll try some of these tips. Thanks and good luck!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 9:28pm
post #30 of 39

Ya if I really want it that bad I'll shop on line but I thought as long as I was out and about I would buy some. The shipping costs boosts it up too far.
I may just use table. icon_smile.gif
Thanks though,
Susie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%