Do I Dare Cross My Hairdresser?

Decorating By jsmith Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 4:48am by SweetTcakes

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:30pm
post #31 of 79

I'd find a new hairdresser.

Period.

No one forces me to make appointments.

You better believe she'd holler like she'd been bit if someone came in and wanted to use all her stuff to do someone else's hair!

Want me to come take care of it?? I've been told I've taken quite a "stance" since menopause.

bawwwahhahahaaaa

jterrill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jterrill Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:32pm
post #32 of 79

You will need your pans this weekend and you can tell her your business is built on your recipes and is propietary information. No other bakery would give her their pans or recipes. You have to compete as a business too.

Tell her you appreciate her and you are so sorry you can't be of further assistance.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:39pm
post #33 of 79

Wow! Sounds like you handled it right! Good for you!

As for the hair appointments I would straight up tell her you don't WANT a haircut every two months! Or just say something like you can't afford it and plus you are REALLY busy now!

Good for you! Good luck with all your cakes!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:51pm
post #34 of 79

I still say you need to find a new hair dresser.

Anyone who insists on how many hair cuts you get a year.... no! hellllllllll no! lmao I understand she's a huge supporter and refers alot of business your way but honey you don't need to be going thru all that. Do you really need that many hair cuts? lol I get my hair cut twice a year IF that... I have long hair and don't like getting it cut at all lol... My husband on the other hand shaves his head once a week lol... If I was having to pay for that... yes I'd keep her around but.....

Anyway I think she's being a tad bit too pushy with you about everything.... Good luck in whatever you choose to do icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:16am
post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Want me to come take care of it?? I've been told I've taken quite a "stance" since menopause.

You mean I'm gonna get worse than I am now when I hit menopause!! icon_surprised.gif
Look out!!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:09am
post #36 of 79

Thank you so much everyone! After baking for the last six hours I don't know how I could bake another cake. I'm thinking of documenting the steps I go through to make a wedding and groom's cake over a week and show it to the next customer that "just wants a simple tiered cake". I'm just praying that she doesn't call me crying over the next couple of days. I'd probably fold. Maybe I'll disconnect my answering machine. icon_twisted.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:14pm
post #37 of 79

kansaslaura wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Off topic, but you mean I'm going to be even "worse" in menopause? My doctor tells me I'm in pre-menopause and I'm already taking a "stance". My friends and family are amazed at how my usual easy going self has morphed into a "firm, tell it like it is person who will now say "NO" without reservation" person.

kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:25pm
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by yh9080

kansaslaura wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Off topic, but you mean I'm going to be even "worse" in menopause? My doctor tells me I'm in pre-menopause and I'm already taking a "stance". My friends and family are amazed at how my usual easy going self has morphed into a "firm, tell it like it is person who will now say "NO" without reservation" person.

And that's a bad thing?? lol I used to allow myself to get into all kinds of nervous knots trying to keep everyone happy and spent way too much energy keeping the boats from rocking. I have learned that I can't change people's thinking nor can I keep everyone happy. I've learned that if I'm happy, calm and content the people I deal with are the same way.

I truly enjoy the new improved me. I used to be such a doormat. There is a difference between being **tch and a woman with a backbone.

I love my backbone! I've gotten happier and more content in the last couple of years. I've made more strides and accomplished more. And my family and friends don't run in fear when they see me coming. The best is yet to come!

kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

You mean I'm gonna get worse than I am now when I hit menopause!! icon_surprised.gif
Look out!!

Umm, indy... you may want to have a t-shirt printed with a warning! hahaha!!

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:39pm
post #40 of 79

If you called her for an appointment and she was booked, she probably would not work you in. Just remember your time is just as valuable as hers.

Don't feel bad.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:41pm
post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

Thank you so much everyone! After baking for the last six hours I don't know how I could bake another cake. I'm thinking of documenting the steps I go through to make a wedding and groom's cake over a week and show it to the next customer that "just wants a simple tiered cake". I'm just praying that she doesn't call me crying over the next couple of days. I'd probably fold. Maybe I'll disconnect my answering machine. icon_twisted.gif

Don't document it. You'll be sorry. The first customer you show it to will go into shock finding out that you don't bake them, ice them, and decorate them the same day! They'll think their cake will be stale! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hope this all turns out okay for you. It's easy for us to tell you not to do it but we aren't friends with this woman. It sounds to me like you handled it very professionally.

Diane

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Don't document it. You'll be sorry. The first customer you show it to will go into shock finding out that you don't bake them, ice them, and decorate them the same day! They'll think their cake will be stale! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I had a friend that was SHOCKED that I didnt' bake, ice and decorate the cake the morning of the wedding! And it was a 3-tier on a fountain with 6 satellite cakes! 8 hours alone just for baking! They cannot fathom how much time it takes to do cake (or food!) for 100+ people. They only thing they can relate to is the 30 minutes it takes them to pop one in the oven.

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:50pm
post #43 of 79

She definitely needs to be told that in future you require a couple of weeks notice for a cake as you're a lot busier these days otherwise she's always going to come to you last minute.

The next time she tells you to make a hair appt just tell her you're letting it grow!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #44 of 79

Sounds like you handled it just fine. Maybe now she'll know to give you a bit more notice.

I got a call yesterday from a "friend" wanting a wedding cake...3 tiers, on 24 hrs notice.

Her reasoning? It was a last minute idea she had to surprise the bride and groom who aren't having a regular wedding (just a quick trip to the courthouse) and since I'm not a "REAL" bakery, I probably didn't need that much notice.

I wanted to tell her, well, since I'm not a "real" bakery, I can't bake you a "real" cake. But I politely told her it was impossible to get it done in that amount of time.

I referred her to Wal Mart.... thumbs_up.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #45 of 79

Off the topic, I know but.....

Quote:

bawwwahhahahaaaa

I used to have a t shirt that said "I have PMS and a gun"

That was about 10 years ago and I've really lightened up since then. Maybe menopause will make me mean again.

MissJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJ Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #46 of 79

I will call her for you...Since she's a church member...I'll be nice but nasty and put the "WORD" on her...LOL

THis is the Funniest I've seen in a while...LOL

Don't let her put you in a bind; keep your own pans...you already have orders to fill for the weekend, and obviously she knows now that she can't give such short notice cause no one else will do it for her either.....2 Bad so Sad 4-her.

Keep on Cakin Baby icon_biggrin.gif

MissJ

kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:46pm
post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

Quote:

bawwwahhahahaaaa

That was about 10 years ago and I've really lightened up since then. Maybe menopause will make me mean again.

I'm not MEAN... I don't allow people to push me around. Mean is totally different.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:55am
post #48 of 79
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

Quote:

bawwwahhahahaaaa

I'm not MEAN... I don't allow people to push me around. Mean is totally different.

I was told I was mean and I think they were right (i'll never admit it to them). The old saying, "feed gunpowder to a dog and it'll make him mean". That was me. PMS was my gunpowder.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:28am
post #49 of 79

So I saw the title... then read the results... so I guess she is now a crossed-dresser?? icon_smile.gif

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:41am
post #50 of 79

oh my goodness, it sounds like my hairdresser. She would give a maximum of 3 days notice and this year found that I was full. She tried to pressure me, but I said Sorry, I am full. I changed hairdressers straight away, as I knew it wasn't going to work with her. I was too angry at the way she tried to use our friendship to pressure me. I would never have done that for my hair appointments. I haven't heard from her again and will be polite if I run into her, but I am thrilled with my new hairdresser!

victorianne_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorianne_sweets Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:57am
post #51 of 79

Honey, you seriously need a new hairdresser! I mean, c'mon, it supposed to be relatively fun (especially if you don't have to drag kiddos with you!), but you are comparing it to going to a doctor! icon_eek.gif

Whether she gives you 3 days or 3 WEEKS notice, you are seriously not enjoying: a) using her services, or b) doing her cakes.

I have a magnet on my fridge. It reads "Life's too short to drink bad wine." Your hairdresser sounds like bad wine in my book!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:09am
post #52 of 79

Victorianne, you're right on that. As soon as she called to ask me to do the cake I wanted to take my website down and refuse to take any more cake orders from anyone. Even though she's not a terrible person there are just some customers that make me want to give up cake decorating altogether. There are others I love doing cakes for.

Curvy, how did you change hairdressers without hurting her feelings? I know it sounds like a silly question but I'm not sure how to tell her. I told her I wanted to grow my hair out but she says you have to keep trimming it. It's only about an inch longer since last year. icon_confused.gif

Miss J, I wish I could have you call her for me. icon_lol.gif But I need to learn to be more assertive.

She hasn't called back yet. Or maybe she tried but I'm not answering the phone until after her party Sun. icon_lol.gif

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:37am
post #53 of 79

Well, I never let her book me in a date, when I was getting my hair done and when she tried I said "I'm not sure what date I am free, so I'll get back to you" so I have just never made another appointment with her again.
But in your case, I would cancel those forced haircut bookings she keeps doing telling her something like..
oh no that date's not good, I'll work out a date and let you know" and then just don't call her.
Another choice is to say "xxx gave me a voucher at another salon, so I'll use it up first so don't put me down for any appointments thanks" or any such stuff.
If my old friend rings me and asks why I am not coming for haircuts any more, I am just going to tell her " it just didn't suit me anymore" she can read into it whatever she likes. The reality is SHE didn't suit me anymore.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:48pm
post #54 of 79

I always go to male hairdressers and swap them regularly - they don't mind a bit and I always get good hairdos - women seem to cut the same haircut despite asking for something 'very different.'

I documented a wedding cake I did recently by taking a photo at each stage and then putting on facebook as I was getting fed up with people thihnking cakes were easy - I sent the wedding cake recipient a link to the photos so they could see how much hard work it was! She couldn't believe that her cake had taken me 3.5 days - turns out my hourly rate is pretty reasonable!

kansaslaura Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #55 of 79
Quote:

Curvy, how did you change hairdressers without hurting her feelings? I know it sounds like a silly question but I'm not sure how to tell her. I told her I wanted to grow my hair out but she says you have to keep trimming it. It's only about an inch longer since last year. icon_confused.gif

I know you didn't ask me how to change hairdressers, but I'm chiming in anyway.

You are in charge of your hair. You nicely tell her you'll call her when you want her to trim your hair. Don't feel just because SHE wants you to have your hair trimmed you HAVE to have your hair trimmed. (Do I hear someone who likes to keep her calendar full and the cash register ringing??)

Let's put another spin on it. She wants to loose weight, and you tell her, but you MUST continue to eat cake!! So, because you told her to eat cake, and only the cake YOU make, she does! In a years time, she's only lost 2 pounds.

See my point??

Stand up for yourself, you can do it while being nice. Be firm and smile while you do it. You know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when, yet again you've been pushed into doing something you don't want to?? C'mon, I know you know what I'm talking about!! That feeling will be gone! You'll be amazed how easy it is and how GOOD you'll feel not being pushed around and how much quicker your hair will grow out too!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:37pm
post #56 of 79

Agree with kansaslaura.

Women are their own worst enemy because we're taught as little girls to "be nice" and "don't hurt anyone's feeeeeeeeelings!"

Nice guys finish last and you'll never find me at the end of the line.

If you can't do it for you, then do it for your kids. When they are offered cigarettes, alcohol, sex and drugs at the age of 12, I'm sure you want them to be able to "just say no". But what they're REALLY being taught by watchig mommy is you never say no to anyone, especially anyone you know, because then they might be mad at you and you might hurt their feelings, so they light up that cigarette to have with their beer right after they have sex.

Kids notice what you DO more than what you SAY. So learn to DO the right thing ..... for THEM.

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:38pm
post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

"That's all ya need to say icon_wink.gif If she gets bitchy, move on find another hair dresser immediately! Don't wait for her to mess your hair up lmao

LMAO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I think I peed a little

Mamas Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:48pm
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks

this is a toughie! i want to agree with everyone and so "don't put yourself out on such short notice!" but the part that really stops me is the fact that she goes to your church. you have to ask yourself how big a deal that it and what that means to you. i think i'd have to--very clearly--let her know how much time such a cake would take, how much notice you need, and the fact that you are indeed booked. Then i would offer something like the 6" cake and tell her she should do something cute, like cupcakes. be careful burning bridges...they're very hard to repair! i do hope it works out.

I whole heartedly agree! Besides, this is partly your fault. You taught her to expect to get an elaborate cake in three days. I think taking this baby step would be more reasonable for you and her. Tell her business is booming and you need more notice from now on. If she says something insanely stupid like well if you can do a six inch then why not everything else . . . then break it down in terms of inches and the amount of time it take s to decorate. bigger cake = more time to decorate.

And further more baby shower = christening= first birthday party and those are jsut the possible orders form the guest of honor.

Mamas Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #59 of 79
Quote:

Ok, She called back and didn't sound mad. She's going to try my friend in the next city I recommended. Anyone in south Louisiana want me to recommend you also. icon_lol.gif

Oh thank goodness! I guess I should have read this through before responding. icon_redface.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #60 of 79

Kansaslaura, who does the hair of that woman in your avatar? May I suggest that jsmith stay away from that hairdresser? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%