Wedding Cakes Vs Celebration Cakes

Decorating By travelingcakeplate Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 3:05am by mhooper12000

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 15

Which do you prefer to decorate and why?

My vote goes to the good old celebration cake. Which do you prefer?

tcp icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 15

Wedding cake. They're easier and look so pretty.

satgirlga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satgirlga Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 15

Well, I guess that is a trick question for me. I have yet to get an order for a wedding cake icon_sad.gif . I don't know how to answer this, I guess. I do like creating celebration cakes, but I would also like to give a wedding cake a-go also!

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 15

I've never done a wedding cake, but I like doing novelty cakes - more fun! - so I'd have to say celebration cakes.

Kelly

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 15

Wedding cake hands down. Bigger cake = bigger bucks. And they are less work.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 15

Both!

However, in the long run, a single tier celebration cake can be just as much work as a 3 tier wedding cake, yet I make so much more on a wedding cake! icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

It also depends on the customer.

And how stressed I get myself.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 15

I've done both and I'd have to say wedding cake for a couple of reasons 1. Because I get to use all kind of ingredients (fondant, royal icing, etc) 2. people don't typically haggle about price... they either use you or they don't and 3. they are way more profitable

My beef with celebration cakes is that people always ask for the a boring cake - "happy birthday jack" on a 1/4 sheet - go to Giant Eagle (a grocery store) if that's all you want. When they do ask for something out of the ordinary, they want it at the same price as a sheet cake.

I recently had an acquaintence try to twist my arm to do a 2 tier present cake that served 60 people for less than $50. She said she didn't want to pay a lot for a cake and this would be a good opportunity to showcase my work. NOT!

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 15

I never made wedding cakes yet... I need to learn how to make flowers. They seem to be hard to make! icon_sad.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 15

Definitely wedding cakes--More dollars for the same amount of work--and no one seems to be surprised at the cost! Maybe people are just willing to pay more for that one (hopefully) special day's cake.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 15

My vote is for wedding cakes. Around my neck of the woods, the celebration cakes are pretty much the same. Sheet cake. There you go!
And the wedding cakes are more $.

-Michelle

CustomCakesBySharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CustomCakesBySharon Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 15

fav to decorate for fun is celebration cakes for kids! fav orders are wedding cakes.....show me the money!!! icon_lol.gif

mhooper12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhooper12000 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady1356

I never made wedding cakes yet... I need to learn how to make flowers. They seem to be hard to make! icon_sad.gif

To Pink Lady:
I found some of the cake decorating videos on youtube very helpful. Here are a couple I liked:

Hope this helps you=)

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhooper12000

Quote:

To Pink Lady:
I found some of the cake decorating videos on youtube very helpful. Here are a couple I liked:

Hope this helps you=)

Thanks for these links!

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 15

Kinda makes me wanna record myself making decorations to help people out on different techniques. That's a good idea for this site too.

mhooper12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhooper12000 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:05am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobartwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhooper12000

Quote:

To Pink Lady:

Hope this helps you=)

Thanks for these links!

You are welcome=) They even have cookie decorating videos. I am so addicted. I've got some I just added to my favorites this morning that I haven't completely watched. Any thing you want to know how to do, is probably on youtube. I have an instructional video on covering a cake in fondant that I will post next. It is very helpful. I love to find ways to help you guys, I'm not experienced enough to offer my own advice, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%