How Much Cake???!!

Decorating By qtdbklyn Updated 14 Oct 2006 , 12:30pm by LmLBuddy4

qtdbklyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtdbklyn Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 11:46am
post #1 of 7

I am about to make a large sheet cake with my new Magicline 12x18x2 pan......How many boxes of cake mix should I use?!!

6 replies
yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 7

I just looked in the Wilton 2006 book and it gives the following information: for a 12x18x2 you will need 14 cups batter for 1 layer 2 inches. I wish I could help you more; however, I haven't yet made a cake that large. I'm new to decorating. I'm sure someone else will see your distress call and come to the rescue.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 7

I'd say 2.5 to 3 boxes of mix. Someone told me that you can take a measuring cup and fill it with water, put it in your pan to see how many cups it holds to give you an idea of how many cups of batter. ??? icon_confused.gif One of our CC pros may be able to help more than I.

lbsmeck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbsmeck Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 7

measuring cup with water is actually a good idea !

sweetdreams06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams06 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 7

I never would have thought of the measuring cup with water idea - it's brilliant! I have always gone by the Wilton charts, and base it on 4 cup of batter per mix (I use Duncan Hines). It usually takes fewer boxes than what I calculate, but I would rather have too much...

barterbabe30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barterbabe30 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 7

I have a 11 x 15 2" deep cake pan and I used 2 boxes of DH cake mix just to give you an idea. I'm new to cake decorating and this was my first big cake I baked. icon_smile.gif

LmLBuddy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LmLBuddy4 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 7

I just made a cake that size and someone on here gave me great advice. You can do 2 boxes of cake mix, plus two extender recipes (found in the recipe section of this site) and it makes a perfect size cake. Someone else also suggested using four boxes of cake mix. The extender and cake mix made the cake taste homemade though, so I highly recommend it. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%