Doug, Moydear, Indy, Everybody...........i Need Help!!!!

Decorating By aundron Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 4:27pm by AlamoSweets

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 22

Okay, I have a customer who wants me to do a couple of cakes for him with his company logos on them. The first cake is pretty easy, a sheet cake with the logo on it!! Here comes my dilemma, what can I do with a tiered cake (4" & 8"), with the logo on top of the cake?? How can I give it the wow factor?? Please help, because I don't know where to begin!! icon_cry.gif (the logo is below)
LL

21 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 22

I would not do the Logo flat on top. I would cut a oval or square in fondant and then over lay a cut out of the company logo over that. Dry curved and apply to the Four inch cake. Or you can make mini color flow of the logo and have them on sticks popping out fron the cake!

Music notes and such also!

aundron Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 22

Okay; should I have the cake just white with ribbons or should I go crazy with it?? He said he wants the wow factor!!

Also, how much would you guys charge for both cakes??

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 22

For the gospel channel you can white icing and black accents. Music grid along the side with either piping or extruded fondant. You could do dry pieces of curled fondant ribbons. I do some sugar and probably would do sugar spirals. You could add tons of musical notes and such.

As far as cost, my cost can differ from your cost with ingredients and location. Foe example the small tiered cake I would charge a minimum of $60.00. I hate sheet cakes and rarely do them! My largest is pricey with filling.

aundron Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 22

I was going to charge about 150.00 to 175.00 for both cakes!! Is that too low??

Okay, so do the cake with white fondant with black musical notes going around the bottom; and the logo in it's original colors

or did I misunderstand what you were saying??

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 22

The logo looks like it would be pretty easy to colorflow. You could flow it in individual pieces then attach to a gumpaste or fondant plaque of some sort with a nice border.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 22

That logo would look good made with rolls of fondant - the way people are making names to stick on the cakes (hope that makes sense)

Debbie

aundron Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

The logo looks like it would be pretty easy to colorflow. You could flow it in individual pieces then attach to a gumpaste or fondant plaque of some sort with a nice border.

Okay, I'm a cake newbie and I've been too scared to try the colorflow!! icon_sad.gif
However, me and gumpaste get along pretty well!! icon_lol.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 22

What a pipe organ and hymnals?

If this were my cake to do, I'd do painting around the cake.... the bottom tier being the view of a congregation (as viewed from the back), the second tier would be a choir singing, and the third would be the sky (heaven) and a great big sculpted logo on top of a cloud.

Good luck with it, whatever you do. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 22

Oh colorflow is easy! Once you get the hang of it, you'll just love it. Check my pix -- I have a closeup of a colorflowed monogram I did on top of a cake, then gilded. It's one of my favorite decorative things to do on a cake.

Well if you and gumpaste get along good, You could do the same thing, make a template of each individual part of the logo and cut it out and gild or adorn to your heart's content then put on a gumpaste plaque. Then you can dress it up or down. Try that! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 22

I think you should combine some of the ideas everyone has had on here with PoleKittens ideas. I think she has the gospel thing in it more. Do the logo out of gumpaste in pieces and then glud together and put sticks behind it to make it stand up a cloud. I like the music notes all over...those would be fun. Make sure to use lots of luster dust! People are always impressed with that stuff.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 22

how's about this.

the gold part becomes a "halo" sitting on top of the top tier -- and maybe make it like 5" across so it overhangs a bit on all sides. this get's hit with gold luster dust

the tiers are off set so you get a long straight area on which goes a fondant/gumpaste "g" it with red luster dust

at bottom the lettering any way you can.

out of the top -- duff-ify it -- with notes on the wires.

then add other deco or message on the large flat area.
LL

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 22

I like Doug's idea, but would be tempted to put the words 'Gospel Music Channel' on the top of the larger cake (the empty white space he talks about) and then do the a mix of music notes/hymals/sheet music out of gumpaste along the bottom of the bottom tier.

Hope that makes some sense.

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 22

Have to say I like Doug's idea as well... like the sheet music idea around the bottom... would be amazing!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 22

Doug's idea is similar to what I was thinking as well, music notes on wires sticking out from all over the cakes!

GREAT JOB DOUG!!!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #16 of 22

And Doug saves the day again! icon_lol.gif

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 22

good work Doug

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:06pm
post #18 of 22

I can't add anything to the wonderful advice you've been given! The logo is pretty simple in itself. Don't be afraid of colorflow ... it's a great effect.

aundron Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:15pm
post #19 of 22

Dang you guys are good!!!

**continues reading**

Edited to add; thank you so much guys for helping me with this!! I think I'm gonna go with Doug's idea and also add musical notes, as well as Moydear's idea about little logos popping out as well!!

The idea of painting on the choir was fabulous; I hate to say it but; I'm a little "paint brush challenged!!" icon_redface.gif

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:58pm
post #20 of 22

Here is one that I did with an edible image of the logo. They loved it and published it on the cover of their national newsletter.
LL

aundron Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #21 of 22

Ooooohhhh, I love it!! I like how you did the borders!! Can I borrow that for the sheet cake that I have to do??

Pretty Please???????

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:27pm
post #22 of 22

PLEASE DO! I consider it a compliment and I tell you it goes so fast and you are done! I just used it on another cake. See Attached. Please let me know how it goes.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%