Upside Down Icing Technique - Similar To Fbct? Suggestions?

Decorating By gakali Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 8:30pm by dailey

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to try the upside down technique. I've done FBCT's before, however, I usually get some little "holes" where air bubbles were, or lines from where I piped the icing. I find it easier to use plastic wrap than waxed or parchment paper for FBCT's, because I can flip it over and see the right side of my design (and smooth it a little or pop the air bubbles through the plastic wrap with a pin) before I freeze it. I'm wondering about trying the upside down technique with the plastic wrap (on top of a sturdy board, of course)? I don't like the idea of flipping the cake over more than once, though! Can anyone offer suggestions for avoiding air bubbles or lines? What about doing a really thin "crumb coat" on the parchment or plastic wrap with the paint spackler first, letting it set up in the fridge or freezer, and then adding more icing to make it thicker? I realize I'm probably overthinking this.....but since time seems to be so limited, I don't want to have to practice to make it perfect - I want it perfect the first time! icon_lol.gif Thanks in advance!

6 replies
annamata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annamata Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 7

I'm sorry I have not had a chance to try this yet, please let me know who it comes out............Thanks..........

gakali Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 7

I have also just read the threads on Melvira's paint roller technique - I definitely want to give that a try! The only thing that is holding me back from doing wedding cakes is that I'm not confident I can get my icing smooth enough....

annamata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annamata Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 7

I am still trying to get my smooth. Ha! Ha! Practice makes perfect. You'll get the hang of it. Just think of all the fun you'll have trying....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 7

I think the weight of the cake will naturally eliminate any air holes/pockets!! I would test the technique out first before you assume you'll have problems with it......maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. as far as the fbct's go when i'm finished making mine (I have my paper taped to a clip board and the wax paper taped over top of that) I just give the clipboard a good whack on the counter once or twice usually does it......then I pop it in the freezer for like 5 min. to let it firm up , then I smear the back of it with the color the top of my cake is going to be......give it another whack and pop it back in the freezer......I never have any squigglies from where I piped the transfer or any air pockets.......works like a charm!

gakali Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the advice! I think the reason I get air pockets and "squigglies" is because I decorate too slowly - the icing starts to set too soon for me! I'm just going to have to keep trying....

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 7

i love the "upside down" method for getting a smooth cake as i only used smbc and you can not used the viva method with it. as far as air bubble are concerned, if your icing has air bubbles in it then you will have a problem with it on the top of the cake. what i do to prevent them is to microwave the icing to get it a bit warm, then i mix it really good with my hand mixer to further eliminate any air. also, when you spread the icing on the parchment paper, try to go in one direction only. i believe jeff suggested this on another site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%