Portable Cake Storage, What Do You Think?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 7:22pm by doitallmom

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 22

Found this at Home depot. I think it might be a great solution, and I can take it with me for cake parties. I LOVE that the sections come all apart too... but is it as practical as I think it can be?

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+ROLLING+WORK&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=020626R&SDesc=Stanley%26%23174%3B+4%2Din%2D1+Galvanized+Metal+Rolling+Workshop

http://eggshop.net/stanroltoolb.html

Now, I found this for FAR, FAR less at home depot... but would it be useful? I don't have a garage or really a basement, but this could tuck anywhere, right?

What do you think?

So help me, if these are gone at my home depot tomorrow morning, I might have to hurt someone here! LOL

Melissa

21 replies
icantcook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icantcook Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:02am
post #2 of 22

Wow- that's pretty cool - and I could think of 1001 things to stash in that thing. But what kind of vehicle do you drive to haul that monster around?

Have you considered a large rubber maid like container to carry your little cakes or cookies, then a large plastic toolbox or fishing tackle box for the icing bags, tips, etc? I would use a lightweight aluminum dolly, strap the box of cake boxes below, then the toolbox on top, wrap with a bungee cord and haul it into the party. Wouldn't look as impressive as the Stanley, but bound to be lighter and lots cheaper.

berryblondeboys Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:15am
post #3 of 22

I actually wasn't very clear in my message as my little one was climbing all over me. I would use it primarily at home to wheel around. It's actually QUITE light. It's plastic, not metal and if I EVER did go somewhere, it comes apart to basically have a wheeled rubbermaid container on bottom, a box of drawers and then the normal toolbox.

Right now I have bins on top of my corner cabinet to hold tips and tools, my food coloring is in my spice drawer, and I have two base cabinets (three really) full of cake pans, plates and such, and another drawer partially filled with things like spatulas and such.

And... at my home depot it's usually $78, but they have it clearanced for $40!!! buying a rubber maid and toolbox wouldn't be much cheaper tha that and it would be more cumbersome to carry/move.

I was just wondering if maybe someone had some set up like this already.

Melissa

berryblondeboys Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 22

Only one person has an opinion on this:

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 22

My neighbor has one of this and I think it's a great idea to have around the house. I was seriously thinking of getting one. If it will fit all your stuff, then I suggest getting it. If it doesn't work out, your DH could probably use it elsewhere icon_biggrin.gif or you can give it to me icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 22

I've decided I'm going to get it. It's 33 inches tall which means it will tuck underneath my kitchen island behind it where no one can see it). Of course, this means I will need to move/remove two of the four stools, but we NEVER sit back there anyway since my toddler can't sit on a stool yet and eating breakfast without him with us is a little wrong! LOL

It says it's metal, but it's like there is a piece of tin wrapped around the outside, but the main parts are plastic. They had one out on display and I easily lifted it off the shelf to examine it on the ground.

If you like it, they are clearanced at Home Depot for $40.... That's pretty darn cheap!

Melissa

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 22

I think that is a great idea. I have my stuff in about 3 different places. It would be great to have all of it in one place. Thanks for the idea.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 22

I have one that is made like this, but is slightly smaller-not as tall, and is hard plastic. I got it at Wal-Mart, and it was very useful-until I outgrew it. icon_lol.gif It was got to take to school, it fit right behind me drivers seat in my car.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 22

I have one similar to this that I use for my sewing stuff. Even with my macine in the bottom it's not terribly heavy and it is certainly convenient.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 22

Melissa,
You got a great deal on the Stanley-I bought one a while ago and paid $80.00 for it. I love it for wheeling around the house, but it is a little hard to find space in my small home to park it.

The top two boxes work great, especially the little storage drawers-they're nice to stash the small things-couplers, rose nails, rubber bands, etc. The only thing I'm unhappy with is that you have to take the top two pieces off to get to the bottom, so I find that it doesn't get used much. It would work much better if it opened from the front for easy access. For $40.00 though, I'm tempted to go buy another one-it's definetly worth it.
Hope you have fun filling yours, Gail

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #11 of 22

They had two there. One like shown above and this one:

Stanley Stainless Steel Metal 3 in 1 Workshop XL

Features and Benefits

* Ultimate 3-in-1 tool storage unit on large 6" wheels
* Sections include: 20" Tool Box with Tray; 24" Drawers; and large flip out bin
* Modular sections separate in seconds and feature their own carrying handles
* Combination of metal and high performance resin
* Large comfortable handle

Product Details   
Height   32", 823mm
Length   22", 579mm
Width   14", 367mm

I CAN'T WAIT to use it. The bottom section has a flip out drawer, so you don't have to take all the pieces apart to get to what you need. So, you can leave it as one piece for normal or take it apart for traveling in the car. I think this is SUPER. It won't hold everything, but it would hold things I would ever want to TAKE somewhere for a party and things that are small and easy to get lost in other kitchen storage. I'm Psyched... $40, brand new, still in it's original box... can't beat that!

melissa

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 22

That's awesome with the flip out front-I'm going to run up to my HD to see what they have. I like mine, but yours looks so much more useful. The individual sections will work perfectly for traveling-and if you're anything like me-filling it will be so much fun. I must have filled it and rearranged 10 times till I got it just the way I want it. Have a blast-you found the best bargain of the week.

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 22

I just cleaned mine up (of course it was Home Depot dirty) and started filling it. It's about 1/2 full. The top tray I have for colors. Under that are my fondant tools (I don't do fondant much yet, but I have some things that came with the monster Wilton kit).

Top drawer are a box of tips, a bag of couplers

Bottom drawer are a box of disposable decorating bags, a box of parchment triangles and a bag of my Wilton Featherweight bags.

Both drawers are less than 1/2 full.

The bottom flip out base has only a bunch of paper bowls and plastic spoons. That is mostly empty.

I'll have to see what I want to keep in this for decorating. I think what my plan is to ice the cake in the kitchen, then take it downstairs to my "decorating studio" to do the mixing of colors and the decorating. it's THAT part that makes my kitchen a disaster. So... I want to have in that kit whatever I would need for the decorating part. Like, I should get a spare box of ziplocs for spare colored icing, nab a pair of our scissors for cutting the tips and tape for sealing the parchment triangles.

I hope to keep my cake projector downstairs because I just can't imagine storing that in my living room!!!! So that was the push to just move ALL of the decorating part downstairs. The case is only 32 by 22 by 14 inches, so it's easy to store anywhere and with the pull handle and wheels, I can take it wherever. I LOVE taht it comes apart for taking in the car. For cake parties I could take this as "my kit" and then take a big LL Bean zippered tote of the kids supplies and probably a rubber maid of something like that for the cake boxes and cakes for the kids.

This box is mainly for ME!

melissa

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 22

WOW, I am going to Home Depot at lunch today to buy this. I am losing sleep at night b/c of all the clutter in my house. This is a great idea for cake decorating. Thanks!

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 22

My "guess" is that this was a store clearance only. Not a mass clearance by all Home Depots. I could be wrong but the guy said they had them for a gazillion years and they were just getting dirty. One was a display and three of the drawers were missing. This one was new in box. So, please don't be surprised if at your strore it is $78 (the normal price). Honestly, I think for $80 it's a good price too.

Plus, watch your craigslist. JUST this morning there was a really nice tool chest on sale that I still might nab for storing things like cake plates and boxes and stuff like that. I want to move this stuff out of my kitchen.

Melissa

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 22

I have one similar to that and I love it. I teach so it is invaluable to me to wheel all my stuff around. I set it up in my van and bungy it to the window latch so it doesn't fall over. It holds ALOT of stuff and is a great kit to take to wedding setups.

jobartwo Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:36pm
post #17 of 22

OK, my Home Depot had one left that was a little dusty, but I bought it anyway. Can't wait to get it home and FILL it.

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #18 of 22

Which style did you get? Mine was WAY, WAY, WAY dusty, but it's not cake, it'll clean up!

Melissa

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:56pm
post #19 of 22

Which style did you get? Mine was WAY, WAY, WAY dusty, but it's not cake, it'll clean up!

And... was it on sale?

Melissa

jobartwo Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:10pm
post #20 of 22

I got the one that you picture in your 4th post down. The 3-in-1. I do plan on giving it a good scrubbing and yes I got it for $40.

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:18pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobartwo

I got the one that you picture in your 4th post down. The 3-in-1. I do plan on giving it a good scrubbing and yes I got it for $40.

Awesome, I'm glad you were able to get the sale. I LOVE it!

Melissa

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:22pm
post #22 of 22

wowww.. I want one! Can you hear the whining in my voice? LOL. Right now, we're redoing our pantry, so my cake things are everywhere. Some in the basement, some in so many different cabinets. others in drawers in the kitchen and then some in my toolbox. I really need on of those!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%