Crazy Customer Stories

Business By KittyPTerror Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 8:12pm by soozun

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:39pm
post #61 of 74

eatsleepdreamcake, she must have been confused and thought she was at an elementary school fundraiser bake sale!! icon_confused.gif

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

I posted this in another thread awhile back, but it still reigns supreme in my Crazy Customer book:

this bride comes in, and obviously they'd figured out the whole - "fewer guests equals less cost" concept, which I guess was a good thing, we get to talking and she pulls out this photo from a magazine which was a 5-tier fondant creation that was simple and elegant, totally do-able, for $3.25 per serving, so we got to talking about servings, and yes - she really wanted it to have the full 5 tiers because her cousin so-and-so got married in April and HER cake was 4 tiers, and she really wanted it to be BIGGER.

So I told her the cost per slice, and the total cost, and she goes - but...I'm only inviting 75 people -
so I go - yes but the cake you want serves 208 -
and she goes - so what do you mean, I can't get this cake for $175? -
and I go - no, I'm sorry. -
and she goes - how about $200? - and I go - I can't even buy the supplies for that. -
and she goes - OK, thanks...(and says to her mom on their way out the door, can't we just go back to WalMart?)

As soon as they were out of earshot and eyesight, I laughed myself literally sick.

What do they think, we're going to supply not only their wedding reception with cake, but also every family gathering for the next MONTH???

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Did we talk to the same bride??? Had one come in for a tasting last month. With her mother and aunt who was "good with cakes". They did the tasting, got a quote and emailed me two days later... saying they decided that since I couldn't match Wal-Mart's prices, they would just go to Wal-Mart.
Uh.... ok..... maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen many tiered/fondant creations at the big WallyWorld lately. icon_lol.gif

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #63 of 74

my customers aren't that crazy, but there one was one where i used to work, i worked for a local ice cream shop as a decorator and one day i was left there with another employee and i her screaming i run out from the back and a lady is yelling that she wants to return her ice cream, which is half eaten because its get this it MELTED icon_eek.gif hello we live in arizona! sorry to get off topic but that is my craziest cutsomer story to this day

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:05pm
post #64 of 74

Every week is Freak Week at my shop, believe you me! I actually blogg about all my asshole customers, and it can be up to 6-7 times a week. Here's one of my latest..... some of you have read this elsewhere, but as y'all know it is definately worth another read and chuckle.

WARNING: do not be drinking anything at the time of reading or else it will blow through your nose all over your screen!

I do all my preliminary contacts with couples online. I have a two-page thingie that I send out, which explains about the cakes and prices and figures etc. I always send this out so they can take a look and then if they are interested they can book a consultation/tasting. When they book a consultation I always send out a new mail asking them to have some idea of what they want as it saves so much time. They don't have to show up with pics and sketches of exactly the cake they want, but please do think about a bit, thank you very much!

Coupls shows up to consultation and has absolutely no idea. Obvious that the cake isn't a priority (doncha just HATE that?), and after 2 hours 15 minutes they have finally made a decision as to flavors and looks (I really try to keep the consultations 1½ hours or less).

He then asks the price, and I get out the calculator and add it up. Simple cake, decorations are included plus 20% for RF. He gasps and says, 'We don't have that kind of money!!' I was like WTF, thinking to myself that I am absolutely NOT gonna dick around with this one (I think at that very second I had a premonition of what he was going to attempt). I closed the folder, stood up and said simply but nicely (and completely SEETHING inside), 'Well then, I think we're done here. It was nice meeting you and I hope everything works out with your wedding plans.'

I know it's a cliché about someone's jaw dropping, but his did. He said, 'Well, aren't we going to discuss the price?'.

I said, 'We just did, and even though you recieved the pricing information and could do the math yourselves, you chose to book a consultation.'

He says 'No, I mean negotiate the price?'

I KNEW it! I said, 'My prices are non-negotiable. This isn't a flea market. People are knocking down my door trying to order my cakes. I am going to have at least 20 couples calling to book your date. I have no need to lower my prices to snag an order. Now, if you don't mind I'd like to finish my work here so I can get home. All consultations are scheduled on my leisure time which consists of about 10 hours a week, and you have just wasted 2 of my valuable hours.'

I hustled them out the door and locked it after them. I could see them on the stairs outside looking at each other, wondering what just happened.

Three days later she showed up at the shop, telling me they'd like me to do the cake after all and that she was ready to pay her down payment to book the date.

I said, 'I am no longer interested in doing your wedding cake.'

She said, 'It's only been three days! How can that date have booked up so fast?'

Well BLESS her little misunderstanding heart! I then replied, 'I never said I was fully booked. I merely said that I don't want to make your wedding cake.'

OMG!!!! Y'all should have seen the look on her face.

SCORE

Shelley 1
Asshole customer 0

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:23pm
post #65 of 74

right on Shelley thumbs_up.gif if they are willing to pay fine if not then move on, and i love the way you told her no i bet she was icon_mad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:16pm
post #66 of 74

Oh, Shelley, it's a darn good thing you warned us about not drinking while reading! You are my new #1 hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:32pm
post #67 of 74

Ohmigosh, Shelley! BLESS your little harda$$ed heart! I love it!
MORE, MORE!!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:57pm
post #68 of 74

Shelly - That. Was. Awesome. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 11:14pm
post #69 of 74

I booked a wedding cake a little over a year ago, I was unsure of my pricing and after I figured out what I said I would charge her ended up being $0.99 a serving for 4 square tiers FONDANT and each layer decorated differently. I had requested a 30% down payment 1 month in advance and then full payment before the cake. Not only did I not get the down payment from her 30 days in advance I kept emailing her and emailing her asking for the money that came on the Wednesday before the Saturday wedding! (I was considering just calling her and saying I didn't want to do it).

I rent an 18 inch silver cake plateau and asked her if she wanted her cake on this ($25 rental fee) and she said no. Fine but I emailed her a picture of the cake I made that weekend and mentioned how classy it made the cake look. So she decided that she liked it and wanted to get it. Great. Then I get an email from her when I am begging her to send me the money wondering if she will get the $25 back when I get the cake stand back icon_eek.gif If it was free why would I try to sell it to you?! icon_mad.gif

Oh and she wanted to know if I was attending the wedding.. huh? We aren't friends... I'm making your cake! She is a nice lady and I guess we could be friends but at this point she is only making me mad and we've never socialized.

So wedding day I set up the cake, I think it looks awesome. (in my photo gallery it is the 4 tier square with a silver cake topper of a couple). I go back to the venue later to get the cake stand....... SHE TOOK IT WITH HER! So I call her to ask what the heck (especially since I know they are leaving to go on their honeymoon). She says she'll bring it by the next morning after church. She doesn't say ANYTHING about the cake. So before we hang up I ask how the cake went and she says "the cake topper looked nice on it" icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif HUH!?? Is that code for it was crap?!

She did bring it by the next day and did say that she liked the cake, but I didn't feel like she was very sincere about it. She got a very nice cake for an incredible price!

New dilemma: Her daughter is my class this year... I need to let the angry feelings go. She and her kids are very nice but I know I will be thinking about this anytime I might have to call her to talk about her child.

flameon58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flameon58 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #70 of 74

Shelley, that was a great story. I can't imagine any customer getting the best of you.

melsherard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melsherard Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 11:51pm
post #71 of 74

I work in a grocery store. What totally drives me crazy is when people actually use their food stamps to pay for their wedding cakes. Yes, it's legal! They will wait until the first of the month and then come in and pay for their cake! I guess the kids don't get to eat this month...

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:40pm
post #72 of 74

I was friends with a lot of photojournalism majors in college and some made extra money by shooting wedding pictures on the weekend. One friend, Rick, shot what he called "the nightmare wedding" for an absolute bridezilla who yelled at everybody, wanted 500 poses shot in a hour time frame and was just generally horrible.

Rick spent about three hours more time at the wedding than what he had scheduled and actually ended up being late for a family event because of Bridezilla's demands. He tries calling the "happy couple" for several weeks after the wedding to discuss the proofs he has ready for them. He finally stops calling and decides he will discuss the pictures when they're ready because he has other stuff going on. Finally, three months after the wedding, Bridezilla calls back and demands to know where the proofs are. Rick meets with her, she tells him that her marriage broke up about a month after the wedding. (Big shock!) and that she won't be buying any pictures. Rick says, "OK then." and hands her a bill for his expenses (film, lab time, developing the proofs, etc.) plus his hourly rate. She looks shocked, "But we're not married anymore!"

Apparently, she thought that since the marriage didn't "take" that she shouldn't have to pay for the pictures.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:50pm
post #73 of 74

Bwahahahahahahahaha CakeFairy!! She should probably check on that refund for the hall, too! People never cease to amaze me...

soozun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozun Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:12pm
post #74 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostinGal

And I never recieved a thank you, or any of my chapel kit or equipment back, even though I reminded the MOB several times at church. No good deed...

I have read through most of this thread, but this story really got to me. I wish that people at church would not dump on each other. There have been times at my church where I have seen people dump their problems and take advantage of other members of the congregation. I don't understand why people do this. I guess they think that their fellow Christians should help them no matter what. But it ends up planting a root of bitterness which in the end causes so much more harm than even what the original incident seemed to warrant. Church should be a safe place to come to. Not a place to be taken advantage of. I'm really sorry you were treated that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%