3D Figures

Decorating By Beecharmer Updated 28 Apr 2007 , 7:25am by Rikke_Denmark

Beecharmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beecharmer Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 6

I have just finished my first 3D figures. Had a ball making them, but have some questions. I put my fondant through a clay gun for the hair, but had to soften it with shortening to get it to come out. Then the "hair" seemed to clump together easily. Any tips on hair making? The first guy I did was sitting down - no problem. I wanted his wife to stand up, so I ended up putting a couple of skewers in her legs. How do others get the figures to stand? Also, something that I couldn't figure out - I saw some people that had dresses on. Part of their skin/cleavage was showing. How do you get the separation of skin/clothing? Is the clothing put on top of the skin? (Is that understandable?)

5 replies
Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 6

frst question i cann't answer because i don't have the gun but for the legs standing i personally do legs first and add gumtex to the fondant. i et them dry enough that it can hold the body. ( i always have problem balancing them on the cake later) so shortly, i hate standing figures.
i have one groom right now who refuses to go on the weddingcake icon_mad.gif

for the clothes. i do the body and then add the clothes, or if he example has short sleeve t- shirt then i make the sleeve and i make in the end of the sleeve a little hole (inside bump) and make it little damp and add the hand then.

Beecharmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beecharmer Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 6

I looked at your photos. I love the squirrel.

How do you do the hair? Where did you learn to do the detail to the clothes? Any books you would reccommend?

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 6

Here's a BUMP!

I'd love to have any recommendations on figure modeling <sp?> books as well, especially those that might have patterns/templates for clothing! icon_rolleyes.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 6

I've only gotten up the nerve to try once, but I HAVE since bought some nice books...
One I like is called "Imagine Your World in Clay" by Maureen Carlson. It shows dresses, skirts, shirts, vests, coats, shorts... also little things like adding teeth! I haven't tried anything from it yet, but it seems to make sense.
I bought it at Michaels for $15.

Rikke_Denmark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rikke_Denmark Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 7:25am
post #6 of 6

Masie Parrish makes books about figurines to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%