Crumb Coat Question

Decorating By soshye Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 2:41am by kaylascakes

soshye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soshye Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make a cake for wilton 3 class this thursday. This cake needs to have a crumb coat only. We are learning fondant covering that night. I wont have a mixer until Friday. Is it possible to use the premade wilton icing as a crumb coat? If so for a 8in square double layer cake, would one tub be enough? I have a hand mixer but really dont want to stress it out by trying to make bc icing with it.

Any other suggestions?

Angela

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 7

a crumb coat can be softer, thinner icing. I have made icing with a hand mixer many times. It should not be too stiff for the mixer, and you could certainly make a smaller batch. The one tub of pre-made might be enough for a crumb coat, as it is usually just enough to hold the crumbs down and make the surface smooth.

camillethecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camillethecat Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 7

How many cups are in the tub you are considering? I think about 3 cups should be enough to fill/crumb coat an 8 in square/2 layer. I find the pre-made Wilton icing a bit too stiff to spread right out of the tub. I've had to thin it a bit with a little water before spreading, or else I tear the cake.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 7

i used that tub recently but you may run in to the problem of needing to soften it. so if you are lacking a hand mixer to use i might recommned microwaving small portions of it (so that not all gets melted if it goes to long heh) then mix in some corn syrup to help thin it out.

i caution on the use of the microwave though as when i used this premade wilton frosting it (in the large tub i mean) did not hold up well to heat when i was trying to decorate.

i ended up mixing it with regular bc to give it some stability

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

a crumb coat can be softer, thinner icing. I have made icing with a hand mixer many times. It should not be too stiff for the mixer, and you could certainly make a smaller batch. The one tub of pre-made might be enough for a crumb coat, as it is usually just enough to hold the crumbs down and make the surface smooth.

I agree, the hand mixer can handle the crumb coat icing. Just make it a bit thinner when you mix it. If you use the tub, you will need to thin it a bit.

kaylascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylascakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:40am
post #6 of 7

dont know if this is any help but if you grate the shortening before adding liquid and ps it is really easy to mix by hand though a little messy

kaylascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylascakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:41am
post #7 of 7

dont know if this is any help but if you grate the shortening before adding liquid and ps it is really easy to mix by hand though a little messy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%