Opps! Wrong Event - Smash Cake Delivered To Wedding

Decorating By StandingForJesus Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 11:36am by thems_my_kids

StandingForJesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StandingForJesus Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 6:16pm
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy

Yeah - I would like to know too. I'm curious why you felt you didn't need to refund her money?

HUH??? I don't believe I said anything about feeling like I didn't need to refund her money! Oh goodness, I have no idea how you understood that. I never accepted a penny for the cake to start with. They had called me as a last minute thing, and due to her job hours, and my filled calendar, meeting was impossible, and because of the time factor, mailing me a check would never have gotten to me prior to the wedding either. We had discussed her paying me in full at time of delivery. Her Maid Of Honor was handling all that when I got there.

I NEVER asked for payment under this circumstance, nor would have EVER accepted payment. How could I? What I did do was go to the only grocery store there, and purchased 2 small cakes (all they had) and carried them back to the wedding. I also sent her and her hubby a card with a certificate for dinner for two at a fine resturant there in Gatlinburg along with offering her a free anniversary cake on her anniversary, her choice of design and number of servings. I ALSO offered her a free cake for her next special occassion.

As far as how it turned out, unfortunately, I never heard from her again. Everytime I think of that day, I'm sadden, and I feel so bad that she never contacted me back. I honestly don't know what else I could have done to make up for it, I know if it had been MY wedding, I would have been very upset myself, so I done everything I could think of to make it up to her.

Again, I'm sorry you misunderstood somewhere that I didn't think I should refund her money. There was no money to refund and if there had been, NO DOUBT it would have been returned.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 8:49pm
post #32 of 35

I hope your feeling better. We can only hope that all our customers would be so understanding. That was so nice of her to really understand that its not really the cake, flowers, food or other things that make your wedding special, it's the freinds, family and love that is during that day.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:45am
post #33 of 35

Thanks for updating us! I think the reason that stefy thought you didn't refund is because when you said what you were going to do to try and rectify the sit. you mentioned all the things but said nothing about the payment. Hopefully bride was more than satisfied with your handling of situation and has only told people of your amazing customer service!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:54am
post #34 of 35

Accidents do happen, and it sucks! I think you are a very good person for doing so much! I might of done the same because I felt so guilty! I do think you could of gotten away with the free cake(s), a apology card with a picture of the cake (before and after would be a funny memory). I'm sure the bride understands and will be able to laugh it off.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 11:36am
post #35 of 35

Well if someone offered me free cake, I'd be all over it!! I, personally, think you went above and beyond trying to make up for it by offering 2 free cakes and sending them a restaurant gift card. You're very kind!

I am surprised she didn't thank you for the card. Oh well, you did all you could and more. You were very gracious to do the cake in teh first place under the time constraints.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%