Fondant Wedding Cake

Decorating By Cherylmm Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 2:20am by tobycat

Cherylmm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylmm Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 12

i am making a cake made with fondant. How many days before the wedding can i make it and it stay fresh????

11 replies
cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 12

I actually put together my own wedding cake on the wednesday before my saturday wedding. It was still very fresh and tasty. Not that I cared very much at that point icon_smile.gif. Let's just say that I was a little stressed.

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 12

Just IMO - usually 2-3 days. I am doing a cake for this weekend (Saturday) - starting gun fires tomorrow morning - fondant will go on Friday. If you put the fondant on too early - you take a chance on it getting to dry and any movement may cause cracks (not pretty).

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 12

i didn't put the tiers together till the morning of. i transported all five tiers seperatly. it worked fine. thank God.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 12

agree about 2 days max. I know people do it earlier, but I just don't like the thought of the cake sitting around that long.

Do you need to refrigerate any of the cakes? If so, then remember that fondant doesn't do well in the fridge.

S.

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 12

the fondant will seal in the moisture in your cake. i always refrigerate cakes before a weddign so they will be firm when i transport

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 12

If I've got a single tier cake for a Saturday, then I'd bake on Thursday, decorate Friday, ready for collection Saturday.

If I had a 3 or 4 tier cake to do for Saturday, I'd probably bake late on Wednesday so it's ready for me to start decorating first thing on Thursday.

However, I'm not the world's fastest worker!

Cherylmm Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 12

thank you for all the replies. I am baking the cakes today and putting it all together on Wednesday and Thursday. I have to work on friday so i won't have time to do anything then.

Cherylmm Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 12

will the fondant get too hard being out? If it gets too hard will it be harder to cut?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 12

what kind of fondant are you planning on using? I use Satin Ice and MMF and have not had any problems with it getting to hard to cut. The moisture from the buttercream and cake help keep it soft just as the fondant helps keep the moisture in.

Cherylmm Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

what kind of fondant are you planning on using? I use Satin Ice and MMF and have not had any problems with it getting to hard to cut. The moisture from the buttercream and cake help keep it soft just as the fondant helps keep the moisture in.

I am using MMF.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:20am
post #12 of 12

You won't have any problems. thumbs_up.gif

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%