I Have A Whole New Appreciation For You Fondant Users!

Decorating By LittleLinda Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 11:59pm by superstar

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 28

Holy Cow! I made my first cake using fondant that I had to color, and place over a cake. I only covered three little cakes; I don't know how you people handle rolling out fondant to cover large cakes! Kneading in the color was time consuming but rolling it out was a real task! The cake did come out cute; but I worked on it for over six hours! (Not counting baking.)
Here's the end result:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=912823&done=1

27 replies
meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 28

We do cakes w/ 99% fondant and let me tell ya.... it is a pain sometimes icon_smile.gif But I have nice arm muscles now! haha icon_lol.gif

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 28

I agree with Meancat. After doing three fondant covered cakes this weekend, I was aching, but I've developed great definition in my arm and shoulder muscles in the six months I've been working with fondant! (Slim and toned, not Arnie style! icon_lol.gif )

Who needs workout tapes and the gym, when you've got fondant! icon_lol.gif

Kelly

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 28

I don't cover my cakes with fondant. I prefer the CBC, it looks kinda like fondant, but taste more like buttercream. However I do use ALOT of fondant and gumpaste for my decorations. And let me tell you, my right arm should be the size of a wrestlers by now. If only this workout could help me loose the weight around my waist!!! icon_lol.gif If anyone has any tips for that PLEASE let me know!!

LittleLinda Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 28

I just can't fathom people rolling it out big enough to cover a 14 or 16 inch layer cake!

frog80 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 28

I had to do that with ONE cake and that was it. The bride specifically asked for a fondant covered cake. Unless they ask for it, I cover my cakes with CBC. This one was a 16, 12, and 8 inch rounds for her wedding and oh my, I thought I would be rolling it out until the wedding itself. Here is the pic.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=66408

It looks like the cake is offcenter, but it's just the way the flowers are draped around the cake.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 28

Well just to turn this back around I have no idea how you guys get the buttercream so smooth, that to me is just amazing and a skill I have yet to master! I have the utmost appreciate for you guys! icon_biggrin.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 28

LittleLinda - your cake turned out fantastic; love the draping and brims on the hats! Understand what your saying. I have yet to master it - I guess the old saying holds true 'practice, practice, practice.' I watch the videos where people just flip this stuff around in a matter of seconds....

LittleLinda Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog80

Unless they ask for it, I cover my cakes with CBC.

Please, what is CBC?

frog80 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 28

Crusting Buttercream. I have a wonderful recipe. It looks more like fondant, but taste like buttercream. It works great with the Viva paper towel method to smooth.

LittleLinda Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:20am
post #11 of 28

OH! Crusting Buttercream. I use it all the time. Well, it's buttercream and it crusts ... so I guess it's CBC!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:57am
post #12 of 28

I love working with fondant, but would love to try your recipe for CBC frog80, would you mind sharing?

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:08am
post #13 of 28

I love working with fondant although I gave up on mmf and started using satinice. MMF was a pain for me! The mess of mixing it, then knead, knead, knead...I just couldn't take it!

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:18am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolevoorhout

Well just to turn this back around I have no idea how you guys get the buttercream so smooth, that to me is just amazing and a skill I have yet to master! I have the utmost appreciate for you guys! icon_biggrin.gif

ditto to that...fondant I can do bc is something I have not yet come to terms with icon_redface.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:29am
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolevoorhout

I'm with Nicole - I really don't like using BC - I can't get it smooth to save myself icon_lol.gif I'm envious of everyones' skills with it !!

frog80 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:55pm
post #16 of 28

Here is my CBC recipe. . .

1/2 cup of cake flour
1 1/2 sticks of crisco

cream together in mixer

place a pot w/ 1/3 cup of water with about 1-2 tblsp of salt dissolved in it on the stove.

put 2 lbs. of powdered sugar in the crisco/flour mixture and add 2 teaspoons of clear vanilla (I sometimes use butter flavoring, you could add whatever flavoring you want at this time instead of the vanilla) and add about 2 tablespoons of light corn syrup.

Just as water is beginning to boil, pour over sugar mixture and mix until smooth. To thin icing for piping add more corn syrup until desired consistency.

Let me know what you all think.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:05pm
post #17 of 28

Uh...how much icing does that make?

frog80 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:08pm
post #18 of 28

Not sure exactly how much it makes, but it's enough for me to cover a 11 X 15 sheet cake.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:12pm
post #19 of 28

Maybe I do have arms of steel because I have a 37 lbs 27 month old that still likes me to lift him and carry him, but I didn't find it too hard to work with. Now, I did heat it ever so slightly in the microwave before I used it though (on super low power) to soften it up a bit. Then it rolled out like a stiff bread dough, imo. I'm talking about Satin Ice. I do make breads though that you have to knead in fruits (christmas stollen), so perhaps I'm used to rolling out firm things... Hmm... cold cookie dough for cut-outs is really firm too... It's all like that.

I'm curious to try making a fondant cake again, because I found it SOOOOOO much easier to work with than buttercream - like TONS easier. My only "fondant" cake is the Salazar Slytherin cake in my photos.

Well, I sort of made a fondant cake 5 years ago, but it was candy clay and I was TOTALLY clueless then when I made my son's castle cake for his birthday when he turned 6. He's turning 11 in a couple weeks now! Wow, how time flies!

Melissa

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #20 of 28

Your cake turned out great! Love the hats.
The only cake I've covered with fondant was my Class 3 final cake--it was fun and challenging but I can well understand the pain of covering a 14" or larger cake !!! I haven't had an order for a fondant covered cake yet but I use fondant alot in my decorations for cakes. Like playing with PlayDo --so much fun!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 7:06pm
post #21 of 28

Linda, like I told you before I think that the cake turned out great.

Now BC v's Fondant? For me fondant wins egvery time. I am like some of the others here, they can't get that BC to smooth out like I would want it to. I know that some day I will get it to come out the wat that I want it to but to this day, nothing yet, I can't get the sides to cover completly. I know that you have to put plenty of icing but I still can't get it to come out right. With fondant roll it out crumb coat your caek and slap it on that is it and you are off to decoratinig. I love the stuff. Than that work that you can do with fondant you can't with BC, so i am a big fan of fondant.

Vicky

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:13pm
post #22 of 28

I have a real appreciation for everyone who uses BC! I find fondant fairly easy to use, but I'm hopeless with buttercream- either I'm making a complete mess everywhere or I've failed miserably to get it smooth no matter what method I've tried. I take my hat off to all of you BC users!

LittleLinda Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:20pm
post #23 of 28

Bonnie from Scotland (how cute ... I'm singing "My Bonnie lies over the ocean". Anyhow, welcome to cake central.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:31pm
post #24 of 28

your hat cake looks wonderful!!! Congrats on getting your first fondant work under your belt!

I love SMBC because you can smooth it like glass but I have had to learn to use fondant to cover cakes because my son's wedding cake will be done in fondant..so I am feeling better about that....still a few issues though..

Great job on that pretty cake!

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:34pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog80

I don't cover my cakes with fondant. I prefer the CBC, it looks kinda like fondant, but taste more like buttercream. However I do use ALOT of fondant and gumpaste for my decorations. And let me tell you, my right arm should be the size of a wrestlers by now. If only this workout could help me loose the weight around my waist!!! icon_lol.gif If anyone has any tips for that PLEASE let me know!!

Do you use the VIVA method??

I was looking at your cakes and they are gorgeous!!

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:36pm
post #26 of 28

Ooops! icon_redface.gif I guess I needed to finish reading the threat!! I'm sorry!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 9:15pm
post #27 of 28

Linda,

Off the subject here, I just noticed that you are a Forum Superstar. Congrats, Good for you. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Goosh I am slow I really just noticed it now as I was reading the other responds. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
Oh well, that is me, SLOW. icon_rolleyes.gif

VIcky

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:59pm
post #28 of 28

Thanks frog80. I appreciate your sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%