Please Tell Me How This Icing Is Put On The Cupcake-Pls.

Decorating By prettycake Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 1:53pm by jocekinns

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 19

Could someone please tell me how the icing on this cupcake is put on ?
exactly like this ? this is the Magnolia Bakery (NEW YORK) Vanilla cupcake. I am making cupcakes for my son's birthday and I want it to look like these///I know it's not difficult, just want to know how..THANK YOU>> please don't ignore me.... PLEASE
!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
LL

18 replies
LmLBuddy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LmLBuddy4 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 19

It looks like just a large round tip that they swirled around the cupcake. I'm new to the cake industry, so someone else might be able to give you a tip number.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 19

As far as I know I don't think there is a tip that big. To get this effect I think I'd fill a paper piping bag and cut the end off it and swirl it on.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 19

It looks like they are dipped in the icing to me. I am not for sure but the bottom part is so perfect and flat that is what I think. Probably dipped and twisted when pulling it back out of the icing to get the swirl on top.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 19

You might try giving them a call!
I would guess though, that they iced the tops flat and then used a large round tip to put the swirl in the middle.

pattycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycaker Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 19

Sometimes its the things that look super easy, that end up being tricky! Have you tried using a coupler with no tip?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 19

I also think the tops mounded a bit. I love the look of a mounded cupcake..whereas other people don't like it. Mine did this on my cupcake cones.. I also believe they are iced with a large round tip..maybe the icing wasn't a real stiff consistancy either...almost looks like a 7 minute frosting. And if its not it would pretty done the 7 minute frosting

Landa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Landa Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 19

I have been trying to do this for months LOL Just baking cupcakes for no reason LOL. A friend of mine said they use a large round tip and then take a spatula and swirl it around

wgoat5 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 19

But I really don't think they took a spatula and swirled it around I think you could see marks. Probably right, BIG round tip! lol They are beautiful, almost to pretty to eat!

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 19

i think i saw them on food network a long time ago and kinda remember it being a trick of the spatula.

wgoat5 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 19

Prettycake did you happen to get the recipe for the vanilla cake? I bet that it is good...if so can you pm me the recipe? TIA

Landa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Landa Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 19

I think I have it if she doesnt. I have both of the books.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 19

Hi,
Actually I have the book with the photo as the cover. I have tried making the Vanilla cupcakes and I really liked it. I thought it came out really good. Not dry.. that's why I'm gonna make them for my son's birthday including the icing to go with it...

thank you so much for all your ideas and suggestions.. that really would help me. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:28pm
post #14 of 19

Well, the icing definitely goes right up to the edge (and over a little) and it has a flat side to it.....so it looks more to me like it was done with a spatula, initially (lots of icing). Then the twirley thing was put on top with a round tip.

Anyone here live in the area of this bakery.....they could go schmooze with the employees and find out for us icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

hughesmx17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hughesmx17 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:32pm
post #15 of 19

If you look at them closely it almost looks like they frost the cupcake and really go down over the edge to cover the whole thing then they make a swirl on top with a #12 or just the coupler. I originally thought it was all a swirl but then I looked really closely at the blue ones in the back.

I am new to this but that is just what it seems to me. I could be 200% wrong.

cakequeen40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen40 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 19

I have done this before, and what I do is put a coupler in a bag, with no tip, start on the outside rim of the cupcake, then work my way inside. Super easy!! Good luck I hope this helps you.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #17 of 19

You might could use a larger rose tip to get that swirl. It sort of looks like that shape to me.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:38pm
post #18 of 19

My turn,
I believe you start off in the centre and move to the outer edge if it was the other way around you would see the bottom piped area which you dont good luck and yes here we have piping tubes big like that in the uk but othersise just cut tip of paper piping bag

jocekinns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocekinns Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:53pm
post #19 of 19

I think it was done with a spatula, a smaller one though . It looks as though a gigantic amount of frosting was applied to the cupcake and pressed down around the edges and swirling it toward the center, gently easing the pressure of the spatula as you go toward the center. I can imagine a well coordinated person holding the cupcake in one hand and the spatula in the other, spinning the cupcake like a DQ softserve cone....just my two cents. Give it a try... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%