Putting Fondant On A 3D Sports Ball?

Decorating By APCakes Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 12:37am by RobynRains

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 10

Hi! Has ANYONE ever covered a 3D Sports ball with fondant before? I'll be using the wilton sports ball pan, and I was asked to do a baseball in fondant. I was thinking it might be possible to trace and cut the two interlocking pieces by using the pan as a template. Then I could cover the seams with red buttercream lacing. But is this just too much of a headache? I think it would look so much nicer than the star tip, but just wondering if anyone has already tried it!

9 replies
niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 10

I don't have a globe here, but isn't that how they are constructed? Taking smaller pieces in diamond shapes and pasting them together?

My only other suggestion would be to browse the galleries and see if you can find something similar. I went on colletescakes.com and the only ball I found was a cactus and it was covered in stars.

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 10

the fact that you're doing a baseball is PERFECT for fondant. as you described, the challenge is merely to measure out the two interlocking shapes (which you cut out flat), and then wrap them around the ball cake, then pipe the stitching (also, you could first press around the seam with a fondant tool in a herringbone pattern, like the puckering that occurs in the leather on a real baseball).
this pattern may be of help (print it out and use it as a guide, scaling it to your needs, or just look at it and make your own pattern): i got this form google images "baseball cover:
click here or copy this link and paste it into your address bar of your internet window:
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://mathworld.wolfram.com/bimg646.gif&imgrefurl=http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BaseballCover.html&h=237&w=333&sz=4&tbnid=G1_qrPzjT30J:&tbnh=81&tbnw=115&hl=en&start=11&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbaseball%2Bcover%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

good luck! thumbs_up.gif

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 10

tinurl.com

It shortens the huge url, and doesnt mess up the page layout.

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 10

mjarvis78: icon_confused.gif could you explain that? i would like to know what you mean, as of course i'd like to be able to paste links without mucking up the format.

sorry, i'm good with windows and microsoft office, but not a computer whiz.

APCakes Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 10

Aunt Judy,
I got your url just fine, and thanks a bunch! That's just what I was looking for. I think I can do it! I'll post a picture if it works out. icon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 10

There is a pic in my gallery of "Kirby" that I made for my son's birthday using the sports ball pan and fondant. It really wasn't too hard to cover the entire cake. I put the cake together and covered with fondant pulling the excess around to the back. I had to cut a section out and had a small seam where they met at the bottom in the back. Using the seam for your "stitching" is good but the stitching on a baseball isn't as straignt as the seam will be on the cake. Good Luck!

Debbie

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 10

I made a soccer ball cake and covered it with fondant (sports ball pan) only I didn't do interlocking pieces, I covered the whole thing with one piece and then used one of the flower tools to make the indentations where the "stitching" is and used the food writers over it. It turned out excellent... thumbs_up.gif

APCakes Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 10

Beccal,
Do you have a picture of it? How did you manage to cover the whole cake in one piece? Any tips?

RobynRains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynRains Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:37am
post #10 of 10

I'm trying to make a golf ball with the Wilton 3D pan ... any tips on covering it with fondant? I had a hard time getting it to cover well on my practice cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%