Double-Bundt Pumpkin Cakes

Decorating By mqguffey Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 4:56pm by Rambo

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:53am
post #1 of 20

Anybody ever tried stacking two bundt cakes to make a pumpkin?

19 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:58am
post #2 of 20

There are several posts on this already. Do a search and they will come up.

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 4:05am
post #3 of 20

Did one last week, picture in my photos. Super easy and lots of fun.

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 20

That is just ADORABLE! Must try!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 20

I did one last year (in my photos) and I'm not sure why my sides are more flat than others I've seen. Either too much batter, not enough batter, or I have the wrong kind of bundt pan!!! I am going to keep playing with it because I like this idea a lot, they are really cute.

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 20

I was going to make one myself, but was wondering if 2 10" (12 cup) bundt pans will make too big of a cake. Also do you use dowels when stacking the two together?

Melvira Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 20

I didn't dowel them because it's only one layer high. Just 'glued' 'em together with BC really well! icon_wink.gif

Oh, and it does make a pretty good sized cake... but when is that a problem? Hahah!!

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 20

I did one last week. The cake doesn't turn out as big as you would think. I just stuck them together with buttercream - no dowels. Like others have said, super easy to do and looks great! I used an ice cream cone for the stem. You can see the cake in my pictures.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 20

I've done two of these in years past. I used dowels on one, just two -one on each side of the cake, only because it had to travel a fair distance....don't know if it actually helped hold them together, but it gave me peace of mind. icon_razz.gif One thing I did that might be helpful to others is I leveled them side by side. Just sat the two bundt cakes beside each other with the flat part (what is normally the bottom) facing up...then took a serrated knife and leveled one and kept moving straight across to the next one without stopping. It helped them fit together very nicely when I stacked the one on top of the other.

Rambo Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 20

I didn't dowel either just glued with frosting. I did have to stick a sucker stick in the kitty's head I was afraid it would fall on the drive to my sisters.

Melvira - is your pan fluted? I have a tube pan that is flat as well. Had to buy the fluted one just for my pumpkin cake. Not that is mattered since my icing was thick and covered up the ridges.

Geminikim - it does make a lot of cake I'm thinking easily 20-25 good sized slices (who wants a taste, I want a hunk, of cake that is LOL) but getting rid of cake is never a problem in my family.

mqguffey - thanks for the compliment, I had so much fun doing that one.

Melvira Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 20

Hey Rambo... here is the pan I used... It's a high quality Nordic Ware pan (Actual Bundt brand) so it should work, but I just wasn't pleased. The other pumpkin cakes I've seen here (and man are there some good ones even just in this thread!!) are more rounded from top to bottom, where mine seems like it has tall straight sides. Now, there are pumpkins like that, and so it works ok, but I like the short, fat, squattier pumpkin cakes like you guys have done. Any suggestions? Less batter? More? I want to tweak it so I can make a jack-o-lantern!!
LL

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 20

Rambo: That Witch kitty cake looks awesome. Will you please pm me your instructions? I have to make one for a 5 year olds birthday on the 21st and she would love this. Thanks

Rambo Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 20

Melvira, mistress of the dark chocolate (love that) - You know your a cake addict when you look at a pan and your first thought is... beautiful. It's a very nice pan, puts my WalMart cheapy to complete shame. I loved your punkin cake but can't believe that's the pan. My only thoughts are...you were right and should fill it fuller, mine was actually more than three quarters full and didn't rise above the rim when it baked. Think the core in the middle effects it. OR maybe a different batter recipe. I used Darn Good Chocolate, maybe a pound cake would work better. Which seems funny since you use these pans for angel food. But those are my guesses. I'm by no means even close to an expert, just giving you my humble thoughts. thumbs_up.gif

bransmom - I'm flattered by your request and will be happy to pm you some directions. Be warned I totally winged this so they may be a bit sketchy.

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 20

Rambo: That is fine, like I said she will be 5 and she would love that cake. It is awesome

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:36pm
post #15 of 20

Rambo - I would love to have those instructions as well. Thank you in advance.

Melvira Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks Rambo... I've mentioned in other threads that I am a big time bargain shopper, but there are times where I HAVE to spend the money even if something isn't on sale. This pan was one of those! icon_wink.gif I have lots of cheap-o's too, don't be mistaken!! icon_lol.gif And you are right about the addiction... sometimes when I see a pan I'm like, OMG, that is so gorgeous!! (I almost wet myself over the bundt pan shaped like a carousel!! Trying HARD not to buy it!) I used to only get that way about diamonds! haha! I think I will try filling it a little more and see how that works! Thanks for your two cents... I always appreciate others' feedback! (Especially when it works!!) thumbs_up.gif

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 5:10pm
post #17 of 20

I did one last week and it was adorable. I put a saran wrapped paper towel tube down the center to help hold together. I cut off the top of the tube to stem length and frosted it green, and the rest of the cakes in orange buttercream.
Each cake was a different flavor.
I was going to cover it in fondant, but my fondant was too hard to even roll out.
Better luck next time. icon_cool.gif

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:26am
post #18 of 20

I just did one of these also (pic is my avatar and in my photos). I had SO much fun putting it together. I bought the pan specifically for the pumpkin cake so mine was a $10 cheapo version from Publix that I picked up while I was getting cake mix and powdered sugar LOL. But hey, it worked!

Melvira Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:53am
post #19 of 20

Juliebugg... excellent work as ALWAYS!! That is too gorgeous! I love how your lines were so definitive, it just looks amazing. More like a real pumpkin than most I've seen! You are the stuff, woman! Your cake is just perfect, exactly what I am hoping my next one will turn out like!

Rambo Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:56pm
post #20 of 20

Beautiful cake JulieBugg2000. Melvira is right you are the stuff. icon_lol.gif It almost looks like fondant, perfectly sculpted. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%