Help!!!! High School Musical Cake

Decorating By hottiemom Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 11:37pm by lesleyanne

hottiemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hottiemom Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 5

I need help/suggestions on making fondant "curtains". My daughter wants a 3 tier HSM cake for her 9th birthday, NO PROBLEM. Until she tells me she wants it to look like the poster on her wall. I've got everything worked out on how to do it, except the red curtains. Any ideas would be very helpful.

4 replies
okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 5

Use fondant and drape them. : ) Can't wait to see your cake.

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 5

Not that I'm a super expert, but I have done drapes before by using dowels underneath the fondant to achieve the desired shape and adhered them to the plates of tiers with royal icing. Oh, I also reinforced the curtain by adding a gumpaste "hanger" at the top that hung on the plate.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 5

I would use a fondant/gumpaste mix, do pinch pleats at the top, and let dry before standing them up and pressing lightly into the cake (or gluing with gum glue if the rest of the cake is covered in fondant.) Roll out a narrow strip the same color as the top of the cake, let dry, and lay across the top of the pleats so you can't see them from above.

lesleyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesleyanne Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 5

you can lay rolled fondant over a series of paintbrushes to get the drape impression..pinch the ends together to create a drape on the side of a cake..attach onto a freshly covered cake with cooled boiled water..it will stick.... Curtains done similarly but only pinch one end to look like pleats of a curtain.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%