What Are Your Favorite Books On Cake Decorating?

Decorating By Rannadanna Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 6:58am by korine

Rannadanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rannadanna Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:34am
post #1 of 19

Usually, I'm on this forum admiring, oohing, and ahhing. But that can't be always... When I'm asleep, I resume obsessing; I dream in cake...

Please name your favorite cake decorating books and/or authors, so I don't go into cake-fantasy withdrawal when I'm not on the computer or asleep!

Many thanks --

18 replies
Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:21am
post #2 of 19

Aaaah! Another book fiend! Can't wait to see the replies to this question, as I also love looking at the books, but they are really expensive for me as they are all imported (and of course international postage is not cheap, even if I order directly myself!) I am awaiting delivery of Cakes to Dream on by Collette Peters, which had good reviews, but I haven't yet seen for myself.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:43am
post #3 of 19

Me too, me too - waiting for my "Cakes to Dream On" to be delivered - I'm so impatient and have received notice that it will take two week longer. I love Debbie Brown's books (my DD is almost 2 and it is perfect for kids cakes).

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:03am
post #4 of 19

I too love Debbie Brown book, i also have Carol Deacon, Colette Peters, Maisie Parish, Alan Dunn, Nicholas Lodge and wow far tooooo many toname hehehe but those are the first to come to mind... i also purchase The Cake Magazines 2nd hand and love them..

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 19

I like the International School of Sugarcraft books (I have the first three). the photos and instructions are great and the books cover a wide range of subjects versus focusing on a few aspects.

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 19

The only ones that I have are the Debbie Brown books. I have the 50 Easy Party Cakes and the Cartoon Characters Cakes by Debbie Brown. I ordered mine from abc distributing and they were only like $10.00 (which is so way worth it). You can see them at www.abcdistributing.com. She is very detailed. The only thing I don't like about it is that she is overseas from me and uses the metric system. However it is converted in parenthesis. I just have to get used to that.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 19

I have several, well no, tons, well no, too many to list, I have actually cataloged them like a library.

I think it really depends on what your style is and what type of cake you would like to create! My first six books were Debbie Brown, Colette Peters and Lindy Smith, but quickly out grew the books because they only really looked at sculpted cakes, and I needed more information.......and move onto Toba Garrett, Nicholas Lodge & Alan Dunn. But now I am even moving further back and looking at antique books. icon_wink.gif
HTH

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 19

I love all the aforementioned books as well as Lindy Smith. I can't wait till my birthday - maybe I'll get a couple more!!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 19

The all time best in my opinion is Margaret Braun's 'Cakewalk'
Then Colette Peters' 'Cakes to Dream On'
then Peggy Porschen's two books and then Elisa Strauss's book.
These are modern funky cake books without any fussy doily nonsense in sight!

Shazzicakes Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 6:56am
post #10 of 19

Listen guys, you are all making my wish list way toooo long!!

It's good to hear your opinions, so next time I'm shopping I'll have experienced feedback!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:18am
post #11 of 19

I agree, with the PP in that it's really dependent upon what your personal "style" is. I've got a few really good books and a LOT of so-so cake books.

Margauret Braun's book "Cakewalk" is a definite "must have" because it demystifies the upper end cake.

My fav' book is "Colette's Christmas" book.

A good book as well is Kerry Vincent's "Romantic Wedding Cakes"

I just want to know when Duff is going to publish a book icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Cloudsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cloudsmom Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:20am
post #12 of 19

I started reading the Confetti Cakes book in the bookstore the other day, and now I think I need it!

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 8:14am
post #13 of 19

I'm with emmascakes - Peggy Porschen's books are soooooooo lovely, especially the rose tower cake. How I wish I could do that one.....
I also have most of the Debbie Brown books that I've picked up from e-bay or car boot sales..........love her ideas for kids cakes!
Jenny

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 19

Murf: I gotta ask...what is a car boot sale?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:19pm
post #15 of 19

i have "a cake walk", "the cake mix doctor", "wedding cakes you can make"
"the art of decorating" "storybook cakes" and many vintage wilton books dated back in the 70"s. icon_biggrin.gif

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 19

One of my all time favorites is CAKES IN BLOOM by ANNA VON MARBURG. There's just something about her roses! And yesterday I picked up CRAZY ABOUT CUPCAKES using my JoAnns coupon. I haven't made anything yet, but it sure looks promising. Anyone else have this?

lami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lami Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:42pm
post #17 of 19

One of my favourites is cakes from concept to creation by Kathy Moore. I also find Lindy Smith's books helpful and Syvia Coward. Nicolas Lodge's International books 1,2 and 3 are a must have.

Shazzicakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:41am
post #18 of 19

I have a really helpful book by Jane Price, called the The home Guide to cake decorating. (Especially helpful for a newbie like me!)

korine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korine Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:58am
post #19 of 19

I just recently bought confetti cakes, it was a bit pricey at the book store, but I really wanted it!! The chocolate cake is so yummy!!! really good book.
But I will be watching out for all the books suggested here. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%