Royal Icing

Decorating By Cyndi1207 Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 11:40pm by Cake-Happy

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 19

Hi Everyone!!!

I need to make 50 tiny Tiaras for cupcakes and I've never made Royal Icing before. I've made Antonia's Icing (don't know if that counts) icon_confused.gif . Does anyone have a Royal Icing recipe that dries really hard and would be perfect for these little crowns??? I've looked through the recipes here just don't know which is best.

Any help would be great.

Thanks everyone,
Cyndi icon_smile.gif

18 replies
Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 19

Here's a link to Wilton's recipe. It's the only one I've ever used and it dries up hard. Perfect for a tiara. Be sure and use only grease-free tips / bags. If any grease touches the Royal Icing before it sets up hard, it will turn to a soupy consistency. HTH.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/royal.cfm

Sounds like the cupcakes will be cute... be sure and post pics. icon_smile.gif

Cyndi1207 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 19

I had no idea about that grease part. Thanks so much the advice.............and recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Also, I'll be painting them will Luster Dust and Vodka. Do you know if the Royal Icing will keeps its shape with that application??

So sorry------it's intimidating to use different mediums sometimes. icon_redface.gif

Cake-Happy Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:44am
post #4 of 19

I totally know what you mean, I'm intimidated with just about every cake I attempt. icon_smile.gif

Once the Royal Icing hardens... it's just like the hard candy decorations you buy at the grocery store. There shouldn't be a problem brushing with Luster Dust and a little alcohol (after it hardens). I've seen where several here on CC have painted their RI scroll work. You should be fine. You may have to keep adding in a few drops alcohol ever now and then, because it evaporates fairly quickly.

P.S. If you are using a Kitchenaid Mixer... be careful to put all of the recommended water into the recipe. I messed up my mixer when I was doubling the RI recipe. I only added enough water for one batch... and it was sooo thick, my mixer was dancing on the counter. icon_redface.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:00am
post #5 of 19

Also, make sure that EVERYTHING is grease free - mixer, tips, couplers, etc. Even though everything is clean already, when I get ready for royal icing, I rewash everything in superhot water and Dawn until it squeaks and dry with a clean towel. I've never had royal icing break down on me - yet. thumbs_up.gif

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:03am
post #6 of 19

try wilton royal icing or try enhanced royal icing that is better than wilton are more dry.

QueenB4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenB4U Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:59am
post #7 of 19

One most tip - humidity can affect Royal so try not to make it on high humidity days.

Good luck!

bakenboi29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenboi29 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:15am
post #8 of 19

Here's another tip when you make royal icing: Make sure you clean your tips and bags in a mixture of part vinegar and part water to remove all traces of grease. Also you can clean your mixing bowl with the mixture. Just soak a sheet of papertowel in the mixture and wipe out the bowl and dry with a clean cloth or rinse. icon_smile.gif

Cyndi1207 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:16am
post #9 of 19

Oh wow..........I'm in south Texas......there's nothing but humidity here (well other than extreme heat......Lol).

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Cake-Happy (Great name by the way)----I do have a Pro6 KitchenAid. In the wilton recipe it says to put 1 Tablespoon less if you're using a counter top mixer. You're saying to put all the water in........correct??

Sheesh.......you'd think I've never made anything before.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 19

I also prefer the Wilton royal icing recipe made with WILTON meringue powder. I've noticed a difference when I use other brands of meringue powder. I always use the full 6 tablespoons of water when I make it in my stand mixer (12 tablespoons for a double batch).

I always paint my tiaras with silver highlighter dust mixed with grain alcohol (Everclear). Since it's hard to get into all those little crevices, don't be afraid to really load up your brush with liquid and dust. The alcohol evaporates before it has a chance to weaken your royal icing.

I'm interested to know how you're making 50 little tiaras! What are you using as forms? This is going to take an extraordinary amount of time! You are very ambitious! icon_smile.gif

monkee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkee73 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi1207

I had no idea about that grease part. Thanks so much the advice.............and recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Also, I'll be painting them will and Vodka. Do you know if the Royal Icing will keeps its shape with that application??

So sorry------it's intimidating to use different mediums sometimes. icon_redface.gif

Yup that works! I did that with the tiara I made for my daughter's birthday cake!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 19

When I make royal icing, I weigh an egg white and then add 6 x the weight in icing sugar. Occasionally I'll have to add another tablespoon or so of icing sugar as I go along (if it doesn't seem to be thickening). I use the K beater of my Kenwood Major.

I don't use any powders or liquids. Just egg white and icing sugar.

Good luck!

Can't wait to see pictures.... sounds like they'll be so, so pretty!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:10pm
post #13 of 19

Here you go:
2 egg whites
3 cups 10X confectioners sugar
2 t. lemon juice

Beat egg white with lemon juice with paddle attachment, till it forms soft peaks, gradually add sugar until it reaches the constency for piping. Use immediately or cover in airtight container. I beat for at least 5 min. to 8 min. until opaque and shiny, then I divide and add color. icon_wink.gif

Needs to dry over night. HTH

ShooshBrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShooshBrat Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:13pm
post #14 of 19

Okay, I made Royal Icing for the FIRST time this morning.

It IS an incredibly humid day.....I live in FLORIDA......what consistency is it supposed to be?

I am so confused!

I have cake class this evening and don't want to go in with a mess.

It's thick, but it looks just like the colorflow.....is that right or should it look more like buttercream?

If it's still too thin, because of the humidity, can I add more PS to help thicken it?

Or how do I fix it?

PLEASE! Any help will do?

Sorry....I've reached PANIC mode!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm
post #15 of 19

Should look like buttercream.....gradually add more sugar and mix 8 minutes or so......

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:44pm
post #16 of 19

It should have stiff peaks. You may have to beat it as long as 20 minutes. I regularly have to beat my royal for 10-15 minutes in the Texas humidity.

Cake-Happy Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 10:34pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks Cyndy1207... I was told by my Wilton Instructor that if I'm making a double batch (which I'm sure you will probably need), I should start with 10 Tbsp of water first (because you can always add more, but can't take any out). Then if it's crumbly you can add 1 teaspoon at a time until it's the right consistency to pipe with. It should have a flat finish (no gloss). It looks like the consistency of marshmellow creme. Real sticky, but it's still easy to pipe with believe it or not. I could hold my glass jar with RI in it upside down and now falls out (if that helps).

Oh yea... one more tip that's real important! Cover your bowl with a damp cloth while it's going for 10 minutes. Just cover it... start the mixer and do not bother it for 10 minutes. It should be exactly the consistency you need to pipe it... if it looks dry add a tsp of water and stir just until it's incorporated. I usually always ended up using 10 Tbsp + 1 tsp of water when using the Wilton recipe. Good luck!

Cake-Happy Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 10:39pm
post #18 of 19

I just re-read what I typed and I meant to say...

I could hold my glass jar with RI in it upside down and "NONE" falls out (if that helps). icon_redface.gif

Be sure and allow time for them to set up and harden before removing them from your mold. The outside can appear dry, but the inside can still be damp.

I'm sure you'll do great! Can't wait to see them! thumbs_up.gif

Cake-Happy Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:40pm
post #19 of 19

It's me again... I thought of one more thing that was helpful to me when working with RI.

Immediately after making the icing put it in an airight mason jar (or something similar) until ready to use... because it will start getting hard pretty quick.

Once you've put some in a disposable bag, if for some reason you have to put it down for a minute, cover the decorating tip with a damp washcloth to prevent the icing inside the tip from hardening on you. I think that's all for now. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%