Edible Fondant Pearl Strings?

Decorating By cindycakes2 Updated 12 Jul 2005 , 4:32pm by eve

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone! I would like to know if anyone has purchased the "pearl bead mold/maker" and made their own string of fondant pearls to use on wedding cakes? I have a large wedding cake order and I am debating on whether I should make the strings of pearls or buy plastic strings of pearls to put on the cakes. I will be using fondant pearls on every other layer, and strings of pearls on the alternate layers. Has anyone made their own and if so, is it easy to use and where did you purchase your mold? Thanks for any help! Cindy

8 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 9

i have a couple of the blue molds (i think they are CK but i may be wrong) they are fairly easy to use. All i do is roll a strip of fondant then dust the mold with pearl dust (or you can dust after they are out of the mold, but you then you must use some cornstarch in it) Squeeze the mold so that it opens and lay over the fondant then squeeze shut take a spatchula and scrape off the excess fondant then squeeze the mold open and coax the fondant pearls out (let gravity help) The pearls will have a slight lip on the back side just turn this to the cake. You can make them up slightly ahead of time and just keep them in plastic till ready to use or shape around a dummy cake and let dry.

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 9

I got mine from :www.elegantlacemolds.com
Mine is not blue. I also have other ones for Appliques...

eve Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 9

Sorry I forgot, if you'd like to see how mine works, look at my photos..

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 9

my two cence here....if your going through all the trouble to make a large beautiful wedding cake, make the pearls, they will be so much more beautiful! i've heard that you can hand roll the pearls...actually go to earlene moores site and she shows you how to do it. they turn out so pretty but take forever to make
melody

cindycakes2 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 1:41am
post #6 of 9

I do make my own fondant pearls, but never tried the molded string pearls. Eve and Peg...when you turn the pearls out of the mold, are they actually strung together? I really didn't want to make and place all those individual fondant pearls on the cake to look like strings and was looking for something that would already have the stringed together look. If the mold makes them have that look, is there fondant actually holding the pearls together? I really appreciate all of your help on this...Thanks!

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 3:25am
post #7 of 9

I have 2 different size molds. I've used them a lot. The only problem I've found is that they don't have the cleanest "cut" to them coming out of the mold.

There is a better one (can find it on ebay) that is a silicone flexible mold. The beads will just pop out clean.

IMHO, if you are going to go through all that work to make a beautiful cake don't put "plastic pearls" on it. It will really affect the look of it.

cindycakes2 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 9

Gloria...I have had no luck searching ebay and have put every cross reference I can think of to find those silicone molds....have any idea what they would be listed under? Thanks!

eve Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 9

icon_smile.gif Yes, they come strung together after unmolding... I also make individual pearls by hand, but the sixes can be NOT uniform, which can also be used for other purposes or individually.. BTW did you get to see my photo with a tring of pearls ?

Go the : www.elegantlacemolds.com or Sugarcraft website

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%