Wilton Meringue Powder Smells/tastes Weird

Baking By cookie-jar-gems Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 11:19am by cookie-jar-gems

cookie-jar-gems Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie-jar-gems Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 9

HI all, I am new here and have learned so much from you all already!

Has anyone noticed that the Wilton meringue powder has a funky and strong smell and artificial taste to it? Once I smell it, I feel like I can't get it out of my nose! It is a new can of it, so its not that its old or anything.

I have read that there are other brands out there that has a built-in vanilla flavor and smell. What brand is it, so that I can try it?

And, if you use it, do you still need to add additional flavoring extracts?

Thanks so much icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 9

Powdered egg whites have an odor, some think is unpleasant. I think it stinks. however, I don't find It noticeable in a finished icing.

cookie-jar-gems Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 9

Has anyone else noticed this with the Wilton brand?

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 9

Me too. I used it for my daughter's first birthday cake and didn't like the taste so I tossed the entire cake. I thought I might have used an old mix or something. Tried it again for her second birthday. Used a new mix with the same results. Two birthdays bombed by this stuff! Won't use it again. I guess you need to add flavoring in order to disguise the smell/taste. But I don't recall seeing that written anywhere on the box. Maybe I overlooked it.

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 9

I love the Wilton Merigue Powder. I use a tbsp in my cake batter and in my buttercream icing. I have never had a problem.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 9

Just curious. Do you use it in the batter to make it a bit lighter? And do you whip it more while mixing or just add the whipped up meringue to it?
ps. I have never noticed a funny smell or taste but I do use different flavorings in my icing also. I get great results with it.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:47am
post #7 of 9

I use the Wilton all the time and have never noticed it. Now I need to go open my can and see if I've just been clueless.lol.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:55am
post #8 of 9

I have never noticed a bad smell, but I can taste a difference in my icing when I use it. Even with a flavoring such as vanilla or almond, I still taste it.

I started taking the Wilton courses in September and have never used it until now. My friend also noticed a difference in the taste when I use it.

cookie-jar-gems Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:19am
post #9 of 9

I am definitely looking into trying another brand, but I did make the taste a little better by adding a tablespoon of clear vanilla extract to my royal icing recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%