Stepping Away From Fondant!

Decorating By AuntieElle Updated 11 Aug 2007 , 4:14pm by Cyndi1207

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 8

So not too long ago I posted about being a buttercream nightmare. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif I can't seem to do anything with it short of crumb coating a cake to cover with fondant. I have made an executive decision to put the fondant away and MAKE myself learn ho to do something buttercream. Once a week I'm going to make a cake and use NO fondant. I'll post my progress in my pics but NO LAUGHING! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Last night my 9 year old son and myself made a little cake. He was so content rolling out and cutting dots. I love my last fondant cake for a while. Who doesn't love a joint effort with one of their babies? Keep me in your thoughts. icon_biggrin.gif

Elle

7 replies
enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 8

good for you
it is always great when we challange our self.
It makes us grow.

Good luck

Invest in the large icing tip that helps so much

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 8

You poor thing!! I feel the same way but with buttercream. I can do ANYTHING fondant, but don't get me to do a cake in buttercream. i am teaching myself by doing samples.
GOOD LUCK

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 8

I'm the opposite..fondant gives me cramps!!!

I did use the stuff yesterday to cover three cakes..still had some issues..especially cracking around the edges..thankfully I could cover most of it..I've kneaded the stuff until my hands ache and it still cracks..

I give you credit for trying to master BC...I gave up on fondant long ago.

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 8

AuntieElle

I will keep you in my prayers and hope that it gets better for you soon thumbs_up.gif

Just remember that it gets worse before it gets better . icon_cool.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Good Luck,
Michelle

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 8

I'll trade you buttercream skills for your fondant skills. I can make figures and deco's, but can't cover a cake ( that looks nice) to save my behind icon_redface.gif !!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 8

have those of you who have nightmares with BC tried Rose Biranbums Mousseline BC from The Cake Bible. It really is ez and beautiful. My own feeling is once you learn to make a real BC with the thermoniter etc. You are really accomplishing something. In the middle of the mixing process it looks like it is curdling. But then you just keep it going and a miracle happens. It all comes together. It can be kept frozen for 8 mos. I divide mine into batches and then add the flavorings when I remix it.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 8

I'm horrible with buttercream. I almost cringe when someone says they don't want fondant...........not that I'm much better with fondant (it's never smooth) but Buttercream is a complete nightmare.

Good luck. I don't think I could try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%