Please Help! Need Tips On Making Fondant Rocks & Realist

Decorating By HammIamm Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 12:38pm by ALVARGA

HammIamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HammIamm Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 7

i am scheduled to make an outdoorsy themed cake for an anniversary.. i want to include some foandnt rocks and some realistic looking butterflies.. any tips would really help!! thanks

6 replies
padawn71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
padawn71 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 7

here is how i do mine......say i want to do blackish color rocks.......i will make up some black some grey and maybe some brown.....i will put all of them together and start folding that and pulling it out till the colors kind of come together....(dont over mix or pull)...then i will roll them in to different rock sizes and then add some dents or shape with my fingers....

u can do that with all sorts of color combinations...good luck

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:15am
post #3 of 7

Here is the link to the Cakecentral article for making butterflies;

http://www.cakecentral.com/article16-How-To-Make-Realistic-Edible-Butterflies.html

HTH! icon_smile.gif

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:40am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by padawn71

here is how i do mine......say i want to do blackish color rocks.......i will make up some black some grey and maybe some brown.....i will put all of them together and start folding that and pulling it out till the colors kind of come together....(dont over mix or pull)...then i will roll them in to different rock sizes and then add some dents or shape with my fingers....

u can do that with all sorts of color combinations...good luck

Do you add gum paste to fondant for rocks also? How far in advance do I need to make these? I tried making brown fondant using brown color for the fence, it didn't get brown at all. I added a drop of black, they became grey. Can you give me some tips as to how to color fondant brown?

TIA,

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:57am
post #5 of 7

When I need to use straight up brown fondant for decorations, I go for the wiltons colored fondant. I don't expect people to eat it. If I DO want it to be tasty, I use chocolate choco-pan. Coloring fondant brown is a PITA.
For rocks, I mix white and black fondant with my hands, in small (about golf ball size) bits until the white has turned grey and there are still black streaks marbled thru it. Then I pull off little bits and genlty shape into rocks. Very realistic looking.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 7

APrettycake,
Thanks a lot.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 7

I needed rocks for a project not long ago and I found candy rocks in various shapes, sizes, and color combinations at my local cake shop. I think I paid .10 cents each. I have also seen the container of them at Wal-Mart for about $5.00. It is in the candy area. I think this is so much easier than making rocks. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%