European Frosting Recipe?

Baking By evybabe Updated 16 Oct 2006 , 7:37pm by evybabe

evybabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evybabe Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 7

There is bakery right outside Boston that I LOVE...the frosting is incredible. Not sure if anyone knows any German/European buttercream frosting recipes, but if so please post them, I'd love to try some. The bakery name is Konditor Meister and WOW, that's all i have to say about them..

6 replies
emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:07am
post #2 of 7

Hi! Welcome to CC! I have not heard of a german buttercream..maybe someone else may know but we do have in our recipe section a french buttercream, swiss meringue buttercream and italian meringue buttercream.

luggi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luggi Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 9:29am
post #3 of 7

Hi!

I have some Austrian recipes:

Buttercream (you can't make flowers with this recipe)

1 package Pudding (here we have pudding, which you have to cook with 500ml milk)
100 g sugar
500 ml milk
200 - 250g butter at room temerature

Cook the pudding with the milk and the sugar and let cool. Beat the cold pudding until creamy. Butter and pudding should have the same temperature. Beat butter until fluffy, then slowly add pudding. You can substitute 50g butter with shortening if you want a stiffer buttercream.

Buttercream with eggs

4 egg yolks
80g sugar
vanilla
100g heavy cream
225g butter at room temperature

Put egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and cream in a bowl an place it over a saucepan with hot (not boiling) water and beat it until thick. Then put the bowl in very cold water (with ice cubes) and beat the cream until cold. Then add butter in little pieces. (Use a mixer) Refrigerate.

HTH

Luggi

nikic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikic Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 7

Try searching Egullet. I believe I read about German buttercream there.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 7

For English buttercream

100g butter
200g icing sugar
few drops vanilla extract

Beat well together, thin with a little milk if needed

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 5:23am
post #6 of 7

Are the cakes refrigerated? If so, they might be a custard-like frosting. My husband is from Croatia and their cakes are heavily influenced from the Austro-Hungarian empire and all the cakes I've made you have to cooke egg yolks and sugar over a double boiler and then add a touch of flour to thicken it up. Chocolate is a bit different, but similar principal.

Gotta say, I make American cakes because that's what people want, but for my family, we only eat European style cakes and the majority in the bakeries are NOTHING like homemade too... Mmmm...mm.. good.

I actually just came on to see if someone know of a frosting for custard cakes! LOL

Melissa

evybabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evybabe Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for this recipe, i'll try it...

Hi!

I have some Austrian recipes:

Buttercream (you can't make flowers with this recipe)

1 package Pudding (here we have pudding, which you have to cook with 500ml milk)
100 g sugar
500 ml milk
200 - 250g butter at room temerature

Cook the pudding with the milk and the sugar and let cool. Beat the cold pudding until creamy. Butter and pudding should have the same temperature. Beat butter until fluffy, then slowly add pudding. You can substitute 50g butter with shortening if you want a stiffer buttercream.

Buttercream with eggs

4 egg yolks
80g sugar
vanilla
100g heavy cream
225g butter at room temperature

Put egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and cream in a bowl an place it over a saucepan with hot (not boiling) water and beat it until thick. Then put the bowl in very cold water (with ice cubes) and beat the cream until cold. Then add butter in little pieces. (Use a mixer) Refrigerate.

HTH

Luggi[/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%