Sticky Gumpaste?

Decorating By D77 Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm by D77

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 6

I bought some of the pre made gumpaste (wilton brand) and it is sticky what can I do to make it useable - if anything?

5 replies
sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 6

First put a little crisco on your hands and knead it. Sometimes my gumpaste is tacky until I knead it. If it's really bad, you can add a little powdered sugar. Just a little. What's your weather like, if it's really hot and humid that could be affecting the paste.

With that said, you don't want to add too much powdered sugar or you'll lose your elasticity, if you have a little tylose powder or CMC you can add that to help.

Sorry it's so hard to help without being there to actually see it.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:58am
post #3 of 6

I like the Wilton gumpaste, but it does require a bit of shortening for it to handle perfectly. As sweetflowers said, pull off a piece of gp, then take a little shortening on your finger and knead it until it feels right.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 3:06am
post #4 of 6

I also like the Wilton gumpaste..it is my fav thing from Wilton. Like the other's said...add a little crisco to the fingers and knead it in...it's great to work with once you do that!...straight out of the bag is impossible...

I did the roses on myjust posted future DIL's cake using the Wilton Gumpaste

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:40am
post #5 of 6

Knead it,knead it & knead it again !!! Add shortening,knead it again...it needs to be soft & stretchy before you use it
icon_biggrin.gif

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, I did add crisco to my hands, and it seems the more I knead it the warmer it gets and the sicker it gets..... I'll try PS

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%