Sweet 16 For A Boy?

Lounge By tirby Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 12:55am by adonisthegreek1

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 12

I'm clueless...
MY son is turning 16 and I'm wondering is it NORMAL to have a big 16th party like they do for girls? and then what do you call it. NOT SWEET 16.
So what would you do or have at the party? I am a bit lost on this one. Anybody know?

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 12

Heck, my DAUGHTERS would shoot me if I dared to call it something as corny as a "sweet 16" for them! icon_lol.gif Isn't that a term from the 50's? (which believe it or not, is even before MY time!).

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 12

IT IS before my time but just for a lack of a better word.
We dont do "Partys" we do eat cake and icecrean with the family so I was just wondering if at the big 16 do we do an official party or wait untill we kick them out of the house to celebrate icon_lol.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 12

I've never heard of having a big party for a boy at 16. The boys I've known would DIE OF MORTIFICATION!!!! They had some friends & went to movies or bowling or something, maybe cake at home, but that was it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 12

i vote kick out of the house!

(hopefully there's a HS graduation in there -- and maybe college too??

ooooo

better yet ---"we're out of debt for your education!"

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 12

Guess I'm in the minority on this one, but my son turned 16 last January and we gave him a surprise party with all of his family and friends. We decorated each table differently to represent his childhood and growing up years. I decorated a 12x18 sheet cake to look like his drivers license. He didn't seem to be upset, in fact he had a great time. And we did the same thing for my daughter's 16th three years ago (decorations and cake were different though).

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 12

Sweet 16 is for girls usually ,and sweet 18(for lack of a better name) is for guys.

Hope that helps!

My brother had a huuge party with his entire grade and then some for his sweet 18. We had catering and a DJ and everything for him. It was fun ,and was held at a private feild so no clean up for us afterwards!(thank god)

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 12

My son and his best friend had a 16th party. We had a pool party and a cook out. It was low key versus a girls sweet 16.

nelja5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelja5 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:07am
post #9 of 12

Well, I hve seen some shows on MTV with my daughter, it's call "Sweet16" and they have show some boys having their biggest party ever.

I guess it all depends!

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:35am
post #10 of 12

Ive done lots of "Sweet" 16 parties for boys. We just played with the word Sweet or eliminated it all together. I did a "Suite 16" for a really spoiled kid. --A "Sssah-Weet" 16 for a skateboarder-- A "16 Strings" (you know like 16 Candles?) for a boy who played guitar. Its not uncommon in my area for boys to celebrate 16. And the requests for these parties get more and more outrageous$$$$$

Im just thinking about my Sweet 16. My 4 best friends slept over and we went to the mall and the movies the next day. AI didnt have a grand party. But I had a ball!!!! icon_lol.gif

mxdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxdiva Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 3:54am
post #11 of 12

you're funny Doug!!!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:55am
post #12 of 12

I just threw a huge Sweet 16 party for my daughter at a marina. She too has heard of some boys having a big "16th" birthday party. I don't plan to have one for my son. He's only 6 now, but I plan to have a huge graduation party when he finishes high school.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%