Display Cake

Decorating By JLG Updated 9 Oct 2006 , 3:33pm by Liis

JLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLG Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:01am
post #1 of 4

Anyone have any helpful hints on making a display cake? I know to use Royal Icing and it's to be put on a cake board so it can be hung up.

Any hints on how to do this? I know personally I have had trouble in the past getting the Royal Icing to be smooth on just a cake board.

Janet

3 replies
jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:04am
post #2 of 4

i am confused on the royal icing on a cake board thing. What I do is use cake dummies and fondant. I first paint brush the dummies with corn syrup to make the fondant stick better then just apply fondant like normal. Will last forever but some colored fondant will fade and all will need to be dusted. Great way to show off your skills... some brides like to order a dummy instead and have just sheet cakes in the back that way they can keep the cake!!---or give it back for us to use as display and then have a cheaper price.
hope this gives you some kind of help

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 4

I recently did an internet research on this subject.

If you use Royal Icing you can smooth it with sandpaper.

You can also use Perma Ice, Joint Compound, Spackling Compound, Drywall Spackling, and Gumpaste.

If you use Perma Ice you can dip the faux cake in water to wash it when it gets dusty.

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 4

It is just my opinion but if you make royal icing very thin ( like a syrup thickness) Then it should be very smooth on the base immidiately without any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%