Fbtc!!!

Decorating By like-a-fat-kid-loves-cake Updated 9 Jul 2005 , 4:37pm by naekramer

like-a-fat-kid-loves-cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
like-a-fat-kid-loves-cake Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 2

ok, i have read the instructions on how to do the transfer and i am dying to start, the problem is i dont know what buttercream to use, dont know what to use for the out line and plus i am in england so i dont understand your measurements of '1 cup' and '3 sticks' etc. icon_cry.gif someone please help me i dont want to mess my 1st FBCT up!
p.s. this is quite embarrassing icon_redface.gif
thanx
lisa
xxx

1 reply
naekramer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naekramer Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Quote:

Actually you want a thinner consistency icing for a buttercream transfer, one that will flow easily. So if you thickened it up, it will not flow well and will be more difficult to smooth.
I use 1/2 cup butter
1/2 cups shortening
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups of icing sugar
I beat the butter on low until completely softened and add the shortening, again on low. Then I add the vanilla on low. Then I add the icing sugar.
The other thing I do differently, is I let the completed transfer sit for about 25 minutes, then sprinkle some icing sugar on top, then press down vertically, actually a gentle pouncing motion, to get rid of any squiggle worm effect until smooth. Then I put the final coat of icing on top, again wait the 25 minutes and sprinkle on more icining sugar and smooth with fingers again vertically down. Then I carefully smooth over with a spatula. then I sprinkle a bit more icing sugar on top, cover it with parchment paper and bag the whole thing, glass and all and freeze. I tend to freeze these overnight for up to two weeks.
If this is your first transfer and you are not sure of what consistency you need the icing to be, I would suggest you try this recipe. It is exactly the right consistency. Once you know that, you can use Dawn's or anyone elses buttercream and thin it down so it is like this consistency. Just a suggestion.

This was from a post here on CC from Squirrelly Cakes. I used her recipe and followed her instructions and my BCT have come out great; I had no trouble with the worming look, colors bleeding, or breakage! I didn't use anything different for my outlines...maybe some others will post suggestions about that. As far as measurements, will a conversion chart help? There is one posted on this site. Here's the link http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_file-converter.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%