The Best Tool For Cutting Dowels

Decorating By melysa Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 1:25am by mkolmar

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 21

i have recently realized that i spend WAY too much time cutting dowels for my tiered cakes. i've been using a combination of a box cutter/exacto knife and sharp scissors. there has GOT to be a faster, more efficient way. any tool suggestions / price range? thanks a bunch!

20 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 21

I use these tools bought special after seeing them on one of the Cake Challenges.
LL
LL

melysa Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 21

tiptop, are those just regular pruning shears? and up to what size dowels would you use the smaller ones for?

tiptop57 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 21

Yeppers regular 'ole prunning sheers and up to pencil size! Then when bigger I use the looper.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 21

the best tool I have is my honey, but when he is not available I use one of those little miter box contraptions with a saw.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100034395&N=10000003+90401&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 21

I use Felco pruning shears. I have had the pair I use in the yard for 10+ years and finally decided about 4 years ago that they would be great for dowels and bought another pair. I haven't had good luck with the cheaper brands.

tiptop57 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 21

Dolphin wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

little miter box contraptions with a saw

Hey Dolphin, before I bought the pruner, I saw a person on Food Network using that contraption on Bobby Flay's Throwdown (Her name escapes me). She just sawed and sawed while talking the whole time.

Then on the Cake Challenge the one where they throw two different decorators together (can't remember the person's name again.) Well they were dressed in pink and she was the one that cried when she didn't win.

Back to my story, she told the other decorator, "Nope, nope, nope." Scolding her for trying to use a saw and came out with the loopers and that's when I decided.

Prunning shears and loopers for me. One snip and your done!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 21

I got mine from ACmoore, it is a Midwest Products Easy cutter. i think it was 19.99 - i got it with the 40 or 50% off. icon_lol.gif
I was taking the wilton class II in Michaels and the instructor had it. I knew her from previous classes and we got along great. Anyway, she let me use whatever she had available during class. This was one of the best tools i've seen. I was amazed at how easy and fast it cut the dowel - wilton brand.

HTH
LL

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 21

I had my dad make me a makeshift miter box. He measured different sizes. Now, I can cut them all the dowels the same size at the same time. Hurray for my dad. I bought a small saw at homedepot.

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 21

Melysa and anyone else who is hacking, chopping or sawing through dowels!!! Stop the madness!!!!

Use the ratched bypass pruning shears seen in this video:
http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/holiday/wedding/cake/video

You can see how easily they cut.
They can be found at:

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-74661/Detail

http://www.drillspot.com/products/420690/Shanghai_Worth_Garden_Prod_680056_GT_8_DLX_Ratch_Pruner

Or do a search for RATCHETED bypass pruners.
Additionally, they can be found at ace hardware.

They cut UP TO 3/4 inch dowels which is pretty big. You may be able to find ones that cut 1 inch if needed. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 21

I use a craftsman(sears) handi cutter- perfection!
LL

melysa Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasweeta

Melysa and anyone else who is hacking, chopping or sawing through dowels!!! Stop the madness!!!!

Use the .....

SEE? i knew there was a better way! thank you everybody. i'll be investing in some good sheers on my next big cake! party.gif

tiptop57 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 21

Ooolala lisasweeta what a great video!

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 21

Fiskars pruning shears - available at Wal-Mart for about $10.00. Best $10 I've spent for cake stuff! They cut straight and clean.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 21

Don't yell please...I use NEW dog nail trimmers. I am a vet tech and it just seemed the easy way out.

They cut up to a pencil size very easy.
LL

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 21

I've used the shears, but still find the saw easier and I can do several at one time and for me they cut cleaner. I've no great hand strength!

melysa Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

Don't yell please...I use NEW dog nail trimmers. I am a vet tech and it just seemed the easy way out.

They cut up to a pencil size very easy.

hey, as long as there is no hair on them right??? icon_wink.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 7:19pm
post #18 of 21

icon_lol.gif gross icon_lol.gif

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 2:22pm
post #19 of 21

Thanks goodness for this post. This is always a stressful issue for me, because when I cut the dowels always splinter. Can't wait to try some of these products.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:37am
post #20 of 21

I had seen one of Bobby Flays Throwdowns on the Food Channel. He challenged this lady (I can't remember who it was) who makes cakes. She cut her cake dowels with a little saw and miter box...

I bought a mini miter box from Hobby Lobby today and a junior saw from Home Depot. The miter box is about 5 1/2" long and the saw is just a little bigger than that. They are going to be used only for cutting cake dowels. I am so excited because this works like a charm and I can store them in my kitchen drawer.
LL

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:25am
post #21 of 21

this is just the thread I've been needing to read! I HATE cutting those blasted dowls.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%