Has Anyone Ever Tried Making The Old-Fashioned Fondant?

Decorating By LaSombra Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 11:15pm by LaSombra

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 12

I've been making my own fondant via Toba Garrett's method and it's so much better than Wilton, it's not even the same thing...but I was reading in my old Betty Crocker cookbook from 1971 and the way they make fondant there is totally different! It looks to be about like making candy. You cook the sugar and add stuff after it comes out, etc.

Has anyone ever tried doing this? Does it taste better/worse? Is it easier/harder than Toba's method?

This just really fascinates me because if it does work/taste better, maybe I should try it.

11 replies
RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 12

I tried it and sugar ran all over my counter and I never tried it again. I tried it because I thought that it would taste better than the powdered kind. If anyone has tried it and makes it, I sure would like some pointers!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 12

I used to make that fondant...In the 60's and 70's but I made it to use for centers in dipped chocolates. I added dried fruits and nuts to it. It tasted very good. I didn't know about rolled fondant on cakes at that time so I never tried to roll it out. It was time consuming to make but fun at the same time. You have me curious now.

LaSombra Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGibson

I tried it and sugar ran all over my counter and I never tried it again. I tried it because I thought that it would taste better than the powdered kind. If anyone has tried it and makes it, I sure would like some pointers!

rrgibson, that sounds like a mess icon_surprised.gif but I guess if you get practice, it wouldn't be so messy? I would think it'd taste better in the same way that cooked buttercream (like IMBC) tastes better than american BC...but who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I used to make that fondant...In the 60's and 70's but I made it to use for centers in dipped chocolates. I added dried fruits and nuts to it. It tasted very good. I didn't know about rolled fondant on cakes at that time so I never tried to roll it out. It was time consuming to make but fun at the same time. You have me curious now.

mm. that sounds good as a candy! I might have to try making some one of these days (whenever I find time anyway icon_rolleyes.gif ) to compare the taste!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 12

The one I made was very good as a candy. It was creamy...not chewy. After I cooked it I poured it out on greased, marble slab. If you cook it to the right temp it is thick. Mine did not run off of the slab. I really didn't find it messy to make at all. I let it cool until I could handle it, then kneaded it. If you try it and it doesn't roll out for you...you could just make little balls out of it and dip them in chocolate.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

I've been making my own fondant via 's method and it's so much better than Wilton, it's not even the same thing...but I was reading in my old Betty Crocker cookbook from 1971 and the way they make fondant there is totally different! It looks to be about like making candy. You cook the sugar and add stuff after it comes out, etc.

Has anyone ever tried doing this? Does it taste better/worse? Is it easier/harder than Toba's method?

This just really fascinates me because if it does work/taste better, maybe I should try it.

This sounds interesting. Would you be willing to share the recipe? icon_lol.gif

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 12

BCJean That is funny you mention dipping fondant in chocolate, I made the European fondant from this site and added a bit of strawberry flavoring and could have sworn I was eating the center of one of those "fancy" boxed chocolates. Now I'm off to find my old old Betty Crocker cookbook.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 12

I know that Martha Stewart actually is the one that brought back the fondant method. It was apparently used a long,long time ago. I know the recipe that your mentioning sounds more like the fondant you would use in a candy rather than a cake. Back when I was a teen and candy making first came out, I used that method. (about 20 years ago)

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 12

Yeah, I'd like the recipe again as well. I would try it again before I resort to buying fondant.

LaSombra Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 12

Well, this is what the cookbook says to do. I haven't tried it yet so bear in mind:

2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/8 tsp cream of tartar or 2 Tbs lt corn syrup

Butter sides of 1 1/2 qt saucepan. In it, combine sugar, water, and cream of tartar. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to boiling. Cook without stirring to soft ball stage (238'F) Immediately pour on platter. Do not scrape pan. Cool till candy feels only slightly warm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Do not move candy. Using spatula or wooden spoon, scrape candy from edge of platter toward center, then work till creamy and stiff. Knead with fingers till free from lumps. Wrap; place in covered container to ripen 24 hours. Tint, flavor, and shape. Or, stuff dates, prunes, or figs and roll in confectioners' sugar.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Put a cookie sheet with a cooling rack inside on top of your counter. Then pour your fondant. The excess fondant can then be poured out of the cookie sheet in to your bowl to be reused.

LaSombra Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:

Put a cookie sheet with a cooling rack inside on top of your counter. Then pour your fondant. The excess fondant can then be poured out of the cookie sheet in to your bowl to be reused.

The fondant I'm referring to in this post is firm like rolled fondant, maybe can be rolled but not sure. In my old cookbook, it's used as a candy...not a poured fondant. Maybe she was thinking that's the type of fondant I'm talking about too??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%