Please Help! Wilton Three Roses

Decorating By CookieChef Updated 6 Oct 2006 , 9:50am by playingwithsugar

CookieChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieChef Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:01am
post #1 of 11

I am really stuggling with my Wilton 3 roses. The first classes came to me so simple. This time though, I can not manage a flower that does not look like a child made it. After five hours of increasing desperation/frustration, I gave up, nearly in tears. I called my Wilton instructor and asked if I could reschedule my last class. (I am the only one in it). She gave me a recipe for MMF but I can not roll it thin enough without adding an incredible amount of confectioner's sugar/cornstarch to it, which causes it to break and be less malleable. The recipe I was given was this:

1 large bag mini-marshmallows
1 2 lb box confectioner's sugar
up to 1/2 cup water

Melt marshmallows and water. Knead in confectioner's sugar, adding cornstarch and/or Crisco as necessary.

Are the proportions right on this or am I doing something wrong? Also, I should mention that my mixer does not have a dough hook/paddle, so I have to knead it all by hand (messy does not begin to describe it). I do not want to buy the Wilton fondant if it is not absolutely necessary. I've heard that it taste awful.

Thanks in advance for any help/recipes/suggestions you can give me.

10 replies
HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:10am
post #2 of 11

Try adding a few tablespoons of shortening to your MMF.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:27am
post #3 of 11

When kneading, add shortening to your hands.

Try Cheryl's recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

thumbs_up.gif

cakes4all Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4all Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:38am
post #4 of 11

Do like I did, go buy wilton fondant. Just this time! I JUST did this two days ago, yesterday was my last class for Wilton 3. I was so frusterated with my MMF, and didn't have time to make more, that I gave up and bought the Wilton stuff. They turned out really nice. I'll get my pictures on here one of these days.
Not trying to discourage you from using your MMF, but I just figured I wouldn't be eating it, so that's why I just went and bought it this time. If you decide to do that, print yourself out a 40% off coupon this week from Hobby Lobby's website and go buy it.

Sarah

sweetlilo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlilo Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:56am
post #5 of 11

If the reson why you don't like to use the wilton foundant is becouse you hear it taste awful! Well here is a solution if you buy a box of wilton foundant and bush on some wilton vanilla or almond it will help with the taste of the foundant. You will fine out that it really helps the taste try it...

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:38am
post #6 of 11

I had the same problem in Course III. My mother and I made our own fondant and took it to class to learn the roses. My roses kept falling apart before I could get them together. I really would suggest buying the Wilton fondant at least to make your first set of roses. It will make all the difference. Once you work with the Wilton fondant you will get a feel for what fondant should be like. Then you can practice and perfect the mmf when you do not have the stress of classes.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:10am
post #7 of 11

I used MMF for my Wilton 3 classes. Same problem....until I added some GumTex. It worked like a charm....and also helped harden the roses, because with just the MMF they weren't hardening.

GumTex made it much more pliable, and much easier to work with.

HTH icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cake2decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake2decorate Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:20am
post #8 of 11

If you decide to get the Wilton Fondant, be sure and add some gum-paste to it before you make your roses. I don't like the taste Wilton fondant, but it is real easy to work with until you get a feel for the fondant, then you can get your home-made fondant to the perfect consistency. Good luck with your class!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 9:07am
post #9 of 11

Hi, CookieChef, welcome to the forum!

MMF is very sticky. I do not use it, but many of our decorators here roll it between two pieces of vinyl which they purchase at WalMart. It eliminates the need for all the extra sugar.

Other decorators grease their rolling surface with Crisco before rolling out fondant, as it does not incorporate more sugar into the paste, and therefore does not make it hard.

These techniques work for regular rolled fondant, also.

The Wilton rolled fondant is actually a very good learning medium. I agree with the other posts which suggest that you add some hardener to your fondant, either in the form of GumTex, or gumpaste, or if you can get it, some gum tragacanth or Tylose (CMC).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 9:48am
post #10 of 11

Just a little off-topic question here.

tmriga, what does your pic say? I've got pretty good eyes, but can't quite read that small. icon_redface.gif

Thank youicon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 9:50am
post #11 of 11

Thanks for asking. Yes, it is quite small, but it was the only way I could get it to fit as an avatar.

It says:

Dear Great Pumpkin,

I am looking forward to your arrival on Halloween Night.

Which reminds me, I must change the countdown!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%