Just When You Thought You've Heard It All About Dog Hair!!!

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 4 Oct 2006 , 6:06pm by CakeDiva73

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 8

I am feeling sick right now. I have worked hard to make my hobby grow into a business and do things legally. Last night I was at a meeting when "Oh my cake is here." I did a cake for this lady and she said liked what I had made for her--anyway she hired the "competition" who bakes from home. I was not hurt since I figure let her try other people's cakes. Anyway I started getting calls this morning for cancelations. I thought it was odd so I talked to the customer from last nights meeting to see if there was something wrong and she didn't want to tell me. Apparently the cake I delivered to her had a brown animal hair on it and she didn't want to hurt my feelings. She thought it was her dog's hair since when I delivered it and took it from the box her dog jumped on the table by it. Then the competition found out and said "She has dogs in her house." icon_mad.gif I have a black lab that lives outside. I know that she said it to hurt me and to get business easily. I am grossed out by thinking about hair in food I change or use a lint roller before I go in the kitchen to make anything. I rent kitchen space out--it is approved so how would non human hair get on my cake--I know it was from the customers dog--they have a brown terrier. Sorry to go on but that is so hurtful and it may destroy everything I have worked for...

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 8

that stinks!!!!! I'm so sorry this has happened to you....that's gotta be like the worste fear of a home baker with or without animals...because you already feel like people are more critical of you because they don't think you're AS good because you don't OWN YOUR OWN BAKERY!!! Ugh...there's nothing you can really do about it though.....maybe this woman will be kind enough to tell everyone that she thinks it came from HER dog!!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 8

I am still grossed out that the dog jumped on the table! I have a dog, and I adore dogs....but never had one on the table!

Hope you told her you have a BLACK dog who lives outside!

Best of Luck......this is one of the main reasons I dont ever want to sell cakes.....just keepin it a hobby!

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 8

I am so sorry! How many cancellations have you had so far and are they telling you WHY they are cancelling? Can you have the person who got the cake with the hair make it clear that it was from her dog and not yours? And are you SURE that this other baker is really talking to other people. If someone tells you that she told them you let your dog in the house, I would call her and confront her about it. She has no business saying such things if they aren't true.

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 8

I am so sorry to hear that, but do not let it get you down too much. I know it will be hard, but you will get more business. I am sure that the hair came from her dog. It was probably floating in the air. Shame on the other lady.

Mslou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mslou Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 8

I think you should call the Health Dept. and ask for an inspection. Tell them what happened and that you are being accused of having animals in your kitchen. Here in Washington state the health inspections are posted in the newspapers. If they don't do that where you live, take out an ad in the local paper stating that you are certified and legal without animals in your kitchen. Also that any one spreading malicious rumors will be procecuted.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 8

I feel so bad for you. I would ask the woman to please let everyone know it was her dog, not yours.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 8

I am so sorry!! That sucks so bad and it is even worse that it was her darn dog......want to feel better? Take a look at the orange Harley cake...low left side....see that black hair? That would be mine!!

Imagine the horror of finding that one the cake. Thank God I found it before I delivered to my cousin ( I was grossed out but I have such a clean kitchen but I don't wear a hairnet ) anyway, didn't realize there was "proof' until my 12 year old glanced at the computer screen after I upload the picture and goes "Nice hair, Mom". icon_confused.gif

Hang in there...... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%