Cake Dummies

Decorating By smoothc Updated 8 Jul 2005 , 5:16pm by cakelady

smoothc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoothc Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 3

Okay,

There is a new bakery in town. I went in to purchase some cupcakes and to see what they had to offer. On display, there was a cake dummy that I thought looked awful. I would like to know how to make a cake dummy that looks good enough to put on display. Has anyone ever made a cake dummy? How difficult is it? How long does it take to make and dry?

2 replies
AnnieT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieT Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 3

Hi:

I have used cake dummies in tired wedding cakes - to cut cost for the customer. I usually cover with fondant though and you would never know that it is a dummy by jut looking at it. I would not suggest using royal icing because it hardens pretty fast and it is grief sticking wires (for gumpaste flowers) in it.

Oh by the way, before putting on the fondant you would need to coat the dummy with a little corn syrup or jam as you would any other cake. To get the edge natural I use a grater and just shave off a little from the edges.

Hope this helps.

Ann

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 3

I too have used cake dummies when a bride wants a bigger looking cake.......it's so easy.......I use buttercream.......then run hot water over it when you're done using it......I wash them too in order to get all the grease out...... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%